breast engorgement, sooo painful. I make WAY too milk, but if I pump out the extra milk - arent I just telling my body to continue making all the excess???

its so painful - and it makes me question breastfeeding. my breasts get so full it make it hard for my baby to latch on. I was pumping and breastfeeding... to get a supply in the freezer. now my body thinks it has to make that much. if i pump off extra milk - my body thinks it has to make that much. ugh. so how the heck can i make my body make LESS milk....??? seriously - very painful, and lots of lumps in my breasts... what do i do?? i could feed him and then pump evrytime - but thats crazy... all i do is feed and pump, then its time to feed again. i cant do this!! help?

Tiffany8168

Asked by Tiffany8168 at 8:46 AM on May. 11, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• yes, if you pump extra you will continue to make too much. You can start skipping a pumping or feeding a little at a time to get your body back to only making enough fo the baby, but yes it will be un-comfortable until yur body gets use to it. But if you cant stand it anymore, then pump, you will continue to make too much. Standing in the hot shower and allowing it to leak helps relive some pressure.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:09 AM on May. 11, 2010

• how old is your baby? My milk production naturally slowed down @ 3 or 4 mo, before I was pumping & feeding & had the same issues. for some it slows naturally as the baby gets older.
    Nyx7

Answer by Nyx7 at 9:11 AM on May. 11, 2010

• Just pump enough to relieve the pressure. You didn't mention how old the baby is, but if baby is newborn-2 months this is pretty common. Your body will produce less once baby is on a schedule. For now it is making sure baby has enough. You can also take a warm shower to encourage release of the excess. Hang in there it does get easier.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 9:12 AM on May. 11, 2010

• Yes, that's what will happen if you continue to pump. Try hand-expressing a little before nursing to make it easier for baby to latch. I would chill on the pumping & just let baby nurse on demand until your supply evens out. How long have you been nursing now? It does become a piece of cake after some time. Are any of the lumps red or hot? Have any fever or signs of infection? Really, though, quit pumping. Take a hot shower or put warm wascloths on your breasts - that helped me, I didn't touch a pump until we had been nursing for four weeks at the recommendation of my lactation consultant.
    Wheepingchree

Answer by Wheepingchree at 9:14 AM on May. 11, 2010

• I'm going to assume that your baby is still pretty new. That is when this is common. Your body goes into overdrive, until it figures out how much or how little it needs to make. If it's REALLY uncomfortable, pump, but just a little. Just enough to relieve the discomfort. In a few weeks, this will subside, and when it does, that's when many women think they are drying up. It's just when you regulate.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 9:25 AM on May. 11, 2010

• its me - my baby is 5 weeks old.... and the lumps aren`t red or hot feeling... just lumps, very sore and hard. my breasts look like basketballs! :( i dont care how they look though, lol, i just want this pain gone, its especially bad during the night - i get so frustrated with it.... :(
    Tiffany8168

Answer by Tiffany8168 at 9:57 AM on May. 11, 2010

• You could try hand expressing before the baby eats so its eaiser for him/her to latch, hand expressing in a hot shower to relieve some of the pressure/pain.. block feeding worked well to regulate m milk production.
    MrsRudd

Answer by MrsRudd at 11:03 AM on May. 11, 2010

• Pump or hand express just enough to get baby to latch...baby should relieve the rest of the pressure. Do not pump what's "left over" if you're still full (new babies don't take in large amounts that young). You should see an improvement in a few days if you stick with it. I hope someone can either confirm or debunk this, but if you pump the other side for just as long as baby nurses, you should relieve some pain and pressure on the opposite breast while helping to regulate it. Again, not sure if that's a proper train of thought, so hopefully someone can chime in on that. GL mama, it DOES get easier once your milk isn't in the hormonally driven stage!
    milfalicious08

Answer by milfalicious08 at 11:50 AM on May. 11, 2010

• At 5 weeks post partum, this should subside very soon. Nurse on demand. If it's horribly uncomfortable, pump A TINY BIT. Like, only enough to feel comfortable. Motrin is safe and helps with the pain.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 12:18 PM on May. 11, 2010

• Remove just enough to relieve pressure. Warm compresses feel good. When engorged, i massage the lumps gently to get the milk flowing while baby nurses.Once your production evens out, reevaluate how often you pump. I found that, if you pump between feeds you produce a lot more. If you don't need a lot, pump one side while baby nurses the other.

The discomfort will pass. Hang in there. It is really worth it!
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 2:07 PM on May. 11, 2010