Would you do this???

I have an appointment around dinner time. And I was thinking of starting the oven before I leave so when I get back its ready. Would you do this? Or have any of you done this?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:17 AM on May. 11, 2010 in Food & Drink

• I have started the dinner in the oven while I got ready to leave, then turned it off when I left, but left food in there to continue cooking in the heated oven. But 'NO" always been too scared to leave while it was still on.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:20 AM on May. 11, 2010

• i would leave it on cooking when im out in the yard working or even taking a shower or something. but never when i have to leave home completely, with not even my DH home. i know new ovens are suppose to be safe and everything but still i wouldnt recommend u or anyone to take chances. safety comes first and wouldnt want to do anything that we'll regret later. and after all sweetie its a ''machine''.. anything can go wrong with it.. so be safe :)
    cookie269

Answer by cookie269 at 9:23 AM on May. 11, 2010

• thats my prob anon I'm scared to leave it on.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:24 AM on May. 11, 2010

• I wouldn't, I'd be thinking about it the whole time. My mom does though, when they go to church she cooks lunch, so far no fires! If you're gonna do it be smart about it, take all the stuff off the top of the stove, make sure there's no crumbs to catch fire on the bottom, take the dish towels off the handle, etc.
    Nyx7

Answer by Nyx7 at 9:26 AM on May. 11, 2010

• I've done it. I make sure the pan isn't very full so it doesn't boil over (split into 2 pans if necessary), I don't have it at full heat (if it's a casserole I'll have it at 250 instead of 350, or something), I cover it so the top doesn't burn, I put a cookie sheet under just in case, I really am careful about it. My MIL cooks roasts in her oven all the time on Sunday mornings while they're at church so Sunday dinner is ready and has never had a problem either. She has a gas stove and I have electric. I definitely feel safer doing it with electric than I would if I had a gas stove though. You could always put it in the crock pot earlier too, it's not 100% but you'll feel safer that way if you're leary of leaving your oven on.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:39 AM on May. 11, 2010

• I was a chicken to leave it on when I leave the house.My new oven has a  pre-set timer on off control.I will leave it on for up to 10 or 15 minutes if I have to leave for practice pick up.I am attempting to work up courage to leave it on longer ; I happily leave the crock pot on when I am gone for a very long time.What is the difference?I keep telling myself this but am still chicken.

drfink

Answer by drfink at 2:23 PM on May. 11, 2010