My daughter had a teacher her freshman year in high school. The teacher was treating my daughter like a friend. Not like other students. She would want her to go shopping and hang out. I felt this was odd at the time but the teacher's husband transferred to another state. So I let it go. Does this sound strange to anyone. Do other teachers take this much interest in their students?

I need with a teacher / student relationship

mercedes1024

Asked by mercedes1024 at 9:26 AM on May. 11, 2010 in Adult Children (18+)

• I've had personal friendships w/ some of my teachers along the way, it was nice to know that more adults than just my parents cared about me. That being said, if you feel there is some thing wierd going on or not quite right about the way she's treating your daughter then you need to ask your daughter. Mother's intuition....
    Nyx7

Answer by Nyx7 at 9:29 AM on May. 11, 2010

• Typically, no.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:32 AM on May. 11, 2010

• It sounds odd to me. Usually teachers need to have some kind of distance and not be so involved in the personal lives of their students. When I read a story about something like this, it makes me think the older person has a problem forming relationships with people their own age.
    wildflowers25

Answer by wildflowers25 at 9:51 AM on May. 11, 2010

• My daughter is a high school teacher and the boys she teaches are ones with a lot of emotional issues and police records a mile long, they come from trouble homes and she often gives them her personal cell number in case they ever need to talk, and they often call her, she cares enough to go outside the box and maybe this teacher felt the same way.

Answer by older at 11:02 AM on May. 11, 2010

• A teacher is there to teach and nothing else. That's why they have counselors in school to direct them to other sources.

Anonymous

• The teachers that did that in my school ended up being fired for doing other things (inappropriate) with the kids. It would be best imho to be a teacher only and let the kids have kid friends. The teacher sounds like she didn't bond well with adults so turned to kids for friendships. That's not healthy but that's just my opinion. They are asking for trouble. There are way too many lawsuits out there now over things like that.

Answer by admckenzie at 5:11 PM on May. 12, 2010

• I think it is very strange. But strangely enough this happened with my best friend while we were in Elementary School and Junior High. We are now both 43.
    While in the 4th grade her parents started discussing divorce, and she clinged to our teacher and started sleeping over her house in Bay Village. They are still friends and still visit each other even though my GF now resides in AZ. WEIRD.
    While in Junior High, just after her parents divorced my GF had to move to another city and new school system and she started clinging to a male woodshop teacher. She must have needed some parental involvement is all I can think of. Anyway, she eventually started dating the teacher all through highschool and well into her late twenties. She dated this teacher until she finally met another man who was willing to marry her, the teacher was married with 3 kids the whole time. HOT as hell, but very married.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 12:04 PM on May. 13, 2010

• Usually, no. However, in high school I was in the same situation with some of the staff at my school. (Psychologist, assistant principal, and one of my teachers) but it was because I ended up at a local children's home a few times and such.

As long it doesn't go in a "wrong way" or conflicts with her school and social life, it should be ok.
    Make sure the other children, her friends at the school don't think of it a bad way.
    fallen_tennyo

Answer by fallen_tennyo at 2:52 PM on May. 13, 2010

• I have a similar situation going on right now with the wife of the youth leader at our church. So far,all I have to go on is just my gut feeling;there have been no 'weird' behaviours from my dd. It just...weirds me out.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:26 AM on May. 14, 2010

• I dont see anything wrong with it. I had a friendship with a few teachers in high school. even with my kindergarten teacher, I ended up helping her teach a few classes as I got older. Just keep an open relationship with your child and allow them to come to you IN CASE something were to happen.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:09 AM on May. 20, 2010