19,000 "toxic" charm bracelets made in China recalled:

Federal regulators are expanding their investigation into children's jewelry that contains the toxic metal cadmium, promising that a recall announced Monday of "Best Friends" charm bracelets will not be the last.

"More recalls are in the works," U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission spokesman Scott Wolfson said.

Those recalls would be the result of voluntary testing by companies, some of which have found troubling levels of cadmium and then reported those results to the agency, Wolfson said. He would not say how many products are under scrutiny.

"Cadmium is toxic if ingested by children and can cause adverse health effects," the agency said in its recall announcement. Medical research shows that cadmium in high levels is a known carcinogen and can harm kidneys and bones.

Do YOU still buy childrens jewelry made in China? Did you know about the recall?

AprilDJC

Asked by AprilDJC at 9:31 AM on May. 11, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Thanks for the heads-up! I found a link and reposted on my facebook page.

I haven't bought anything like that recently, but have been trying to stop buing that junk anyway! I also will no longer buy FOOD from CHINA! That makes NO sense to me at all to import stuff like apple juice when Apple trees grow just fine where I live (Georgia)!!

(Our local walmart ONLY carries imported juice, so I have to buy organic apple juice from Ingles.)
    VeronicaLee

Answer by VeronicaLee at 9:51 AM on May. 11, 2010

• AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 9:31 AM on May. 11, 2010

• I agree VeronicaLee, why should we import APPLE JUICE of all things, when we are fully capable of growing our own? And I do not buy any kids toys or jewelry with metal pieces if it's from China. We've been trying our best to only buy toys made in the USA or in reputable companies overseas like PLAN toys out of Thailand (vegetable and soy based dyes, non-toxic glues, toys made from recycled rubberwood), HABA of Germany, etc. It's not too hard to find high quality stuff at an affordable price really. When my DD asks for jewelry, I plan on buying her sterling silver, and not until she's at least a couple years older. The only real jewelry she's ever had was a 24K gold charm bracelet our jeweler friend in Spain made special for her on her 1st birthday. She's got some fake plastic jewelry but nothing with metal on it.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 10:14 AM on May. 11, 2010

• EVERYTHING is made in Chna. WHen I was a kid, EVERYTHING was made in Japan. Are you afraid of these bracelets? If your child ATE them, maybe there would be a problem. Everyday I read some panicky ,feardriven post here at CM and it gets so depressing....How can you manage to find so many dark,dreary,depressing things to post? and WHY?
    Anonymous

• Ok sorry for trying to inform someone. Kids have DIED from ingesting things like this, and yes the toxic metals can leach onto their skin, therefore if they put their hands in their mouths yes they are being exposed. I'm NOT panicky, not fear driven just well informed and caring about the safety of children. I'm perfectly happy searching for NICE high quality things made in the USA and by other safe companies that my daughter loves much more than some cheap trinket. If you do not want to be informed, then you should have not read the post. YOu can tell by the title what it is about, why read it if you don't care? I post for people that DO care. Thank you.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 2:52 PM on May. 11, 2010