Do I have to pay?

If we go out to dinner and I have the most money do I have to pay for everyone? The next time we go out do I have to pay for everyone again? Just because I went to college and have a good job I have to pay? I don't get it...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:35 AM on May. 11, 2010 in Just for Fun

• Nope! Make it clear to your uneducated mooching friends that you're not a free soup kitchen. Inform them that you can split the bill according to what each person got or just ask for seperate checks @ the beginning of the meal! That should clue em in that you have no intention of covering their meal.
    Nyx7

Answer by Nyx7 at 9:40 AM on May. 11, 2010

• no each person should pay for their own meal! Its wrong that they take advantage of it.
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 9:44 AM on May. 11, 2010

• No! It shouldn't be expected of you to pay... unless you ask a completely broke friend out and offer to pay. Even then, it shouldn't be expected that you always pay just because you did it once.

VeronicaLee

Answer by VeronicaLee at 9:45 AM on May. 11, 2010

• OP- So why do the rich have to pay more taxes?? Just because they have more money?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:01 AM on May. 11, 2010

• No you don't have to pay. You chose to pay. I tell the waitress SEPARATE CHECKS PLEASE. See how simple that was? Didn't that teach you that in college? As for the rich paying taxes for having more money....well duh. That's the point. More income = higher taxes. Where did you go to college anyway? You should know this stuff
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:18 AM on May. 11, 2010

• :18 Anon

I'm simply saying just because I make more money doesn't mean I have to buy others dinner and be responsible for more of everything. I am working for MY family not for everyone elses health care and food.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:23 AM on May. 11, 2010

• You need to make it clear that you are not treating everyone when you go out. I kind of have to wonder how this goes when it happens. It's odd that everyone just assumes you are going to pay if you think you are not. I would suggest you just say to the waiter there will be seperate checks or something like that. That way if they really are just hanging out with you for free meals you know and can cut them loose. As for the rich paying more taxes, anon 18 pretty much nailed it. You're in a higher tax bracket, you pay more. Do you really think people who make less money like the thought that their taxes go to others? No. Everyone I know who makes less and are less educated, people you apparently look down on, are also trying to take care of their families and could do it better being taxed less but whatever.
    wildflowers25

Answer by wildflowers25 at 10:48 AM on May. 11, 2010

• If it's a situation where you are inviting people out, then yes, you're supposed to pay. If a group of you make arrangements to meet somewhere for a meal then it's supposed to be dutch. So if you normally call someone and say "hey, do you want to go out for dinner" then start saying "are you up for meeting for dinner sometime" or something - word it differently so they know you're not treating. But etiquette is that if you invite you pay. It's hard to draw the line though between inviting and setting something up - which is why we hardly ever go out with people!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:27 AM on May. 11, 2010