Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Need advise please

Ok I'm asking this because I'm at my last straw...My stepson is in school and his teacher is now saying that he is showing signs of autism. I have tried to tell his Father, my husband that there was an issue but he refused to acknowledge it and now the teacher is saying it he and the mother won't do anything about. What options do I really have?

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 9:45 AM on May. 11, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

Answers (5)
  • none, your not his parent. You can talk to your dh about it some more though.

    Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 9:47 AM on May. 11, 2010

  • Isn't that some form of abuse though?

    Answer by Anonymous at 9:48 AM on May. 11, 2010

  • I would definitely push your husband on this point. The testing can be done through the school, for free, and if he does have autism then it's only making things harder on your stepson. I don't know that it's "abuse," but it's definitely not helpful to a child to address any problems they may have. If the testing shows nothing, then at least you have peace of mind that there isn't a problem.

    Answer by missanc at 10:53 AM on May. 11, 2010

  • sadly, not a whole lot. unless you are the one who takes him to the doctor/makes appointments. if you take him to the doctor, maybe you can mention/ask the doctor about it and then when the doctor makes the referral mom and dad will see that you werent making it up.

    i know that a lot of SMs don't take the SKs to the doctor, but i do for mine. so if you are the one who takes him a lot.....maybe you can go that route. it sucks that neither will listen but i do understand your position.

    Answer by aly38914290 at 1:36 PM on May. 11, 2010

  • I agree with missanc. all the way.

    Answer by incarnita at 12:47 PM on May. 12, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.