When do they start wiping themselves?

I have a soon to be 5 yr old. Sometimes I let him try and wipe himself (NO.2)but he just doesn't do a good job and usually makes a mess. When do they usually start being able to wipe themselves? Do they need practice?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:01 AM on May. 11, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• It's just a practice thing, regardless of what age they start at. There's going to be mess until they get good at it.

My son is 5 and has been wiping himself for over a year now. He's still not very good at it and probably uses way more TP than he should but right now I'm just trying to be proud of him for the effort and not criticize on him too much. I like the idea of wet wipes, would probably help a lot.

Of course it helps to show your child what to do, sometimes several times or different ways (not every child can do the sit-on-toilet-and-between-the-legs way. My son likes to stand and wipe.). A lot of kids just don't really seem to know how or 'get it'.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:48 AM on May. 16, 2010

• as soon as mine were potty learned, they began wiping. Obviously a 2 year old can't do a good enough job, so I would clean the mess first, and then let them practice. My 2 older ones go unassisted, and most of the time, so does my almost 3 year old- he's kinda OCD about being clean, I have to watch that he doesn't use a whole roll of tp!
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 10:03 AM on May. 11, 2010

• Yes, they need to practice!! When they go to school (or a friendshouse) they will need to take care of that themselves. I will wipe a "friend" of my kids, but I really don't want to do that!! Teachers at school will not do it at all. They stand at the door, and will help with a button or something, but they won't go in and wipe all the little one's bottoms for them.

My 5yo was having trouble doing a good job, but he is getting better at it now. Practice, practice, practice :)

VeronicaLee

Answer by VeronicaLee at 10:05 AM on May. 11, 2010

• I think my son was about 6 when he started going unassisted. I did keep little wet wipes in his bathroom just to help him out some.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:06 AM on May. 11, 2010

• "I think my son was about 6 when he started going unassisted."

Did he go to kindergarten?

VeronicaLee

Answer by VeronicaLee at 10:08 AM on May. 11, 2010

• My son is 4 and does it by himself. But sometimes, he does a terrible job! I think a nightly bath can clean up any bad-wiping mistakes they make during the day.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 10:26 AM on May. 11, 2010

• Mine are not quite 4, and are wiping by themselves. I am considering taking the TP out of the bathroom though, because of the flooding incidents we have had lately because they want to use the entire roll, or the entire box of wet wipes.
    twin_mommy

Answer by twin_mommy at 12:20 PM on May. 11, 2010

• My daughter is 5 and has always wiped her own butt since she was potty trained. Although she was never comfortable doing it when she went poop until the last 3 months I'd say. She'll be 6 in July and she wipes when she poops now but always asks me to check her when she is done.
    drpepper73

Answer by drpepper73 at 1:51 PM on May. 11, 2010

• My kids and maybe it was me but were a little too use to me helping. My son was heading off to kinder last yr and still wanted me to wipe his but! I basically just kind of made them. My daughter is 16mos younger and use to wipe her but but I think because of her brother she regressed. I let them use those wipes and they both wipe their buts now. You may have to be a little pushy. For me the wipes help them do it alot better than toilet paper!
    Anonymous

• my started at age 3, but they never did a very good job,wiping themselfs, so they would call me to see how good they did, and some times were better than others, and then by age of four" wahla " she did it all by herself rather well. too, I might add, lol.
    incarnita

Answer by incarnita at 12:44 PM on May. 12, 2010