amniocentisis

abyone have this done? they r doing it to testfor lung maturtity. how was your experience? my nerves are getting the best of me!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:44 AM on May. 11, 2010 in Pregnancy

• It hurt, and I cramped afterwards. It scared me half to death! I was worried I would mis carry, but I didn't. A few hours afterwards I felt better.

Be prepared. Take some one with you that can drive you home. Take the whole day off , I did and I am glad because all I did afterwards all I could do was lay on the couch and watch TV.

Good Luck!!
    VeronicaLee

Answer by VeronicaLee at 10:50 AM on May. 11, 2010

• The anticipation is actually much worse than the procedure! It will be ok! Try to relax momma :)
    chefronswife

Answer by chefronswife at 10:53 AM on May. 11, 2010

• My first one hurt like hell b/c of how little fluid I had. They had a heck of a time getting the needle in a good spot. They literally used 3/4 of the needle to get the fluid b/c the best pocket was so far back. My 2nd one didn't hurt at all b/c there was a huge fluid pocket right up front and they only used about 1/8 of the needle. It was over really fast. My only complaint is that I was really sore on those needle spots for a few days.
    Luvmylilmonkies

Answer by Luvmylilmonkies at 11:36 AM on May. 11, 2010

• I had one with my last baby and honestly i dont remember it hurting at all. .the dr numbed my stomach before so i didnt feel anything except pressure. I was very nervous so my DH stood by my head and i just kept my eyes closed and before you know it, it's over with. Good luck
    kimber76_2000

Answer by kimber76_2000 at 11:47 AM on May. 11, 2010

• You guys that say it didn't hurt were lucky! My contractions were SO bad afterwards! I was worried that I was going to lose a perefct healthy baby for some stupid genetics test. If asked again to do it, I won't. Unless.... I am almost ready to delver anyway. If I am that close, I wouldn't be so scared about doing it. Mid way through PG though... NO WAY!
    Anonymous

• I had 3 at about 18 weeks each time. It did not hurt at all and No I did not have cramping at all. I would do it again. When you ask a question about things like this you are going to get some bad stories so take them with a grain of salt. Maybe the people who have had a problem with the procedure in the other posts had it done by an inexperienced Dr. It sound a lot worse than it is. It is really standard procedure for women over 35. Don't stress out.
    Anonymous

• Mine just felt like pressure... it was weird. Didn't hurt, but was weird. The needle is scary, though.........
    MunchiesMom324

Answer by MunchiesMom324 at 1:53 PM on May. 11, 2010