my baby drinks Simalac Soy and he spits up alot, what else works for spitting up?

has anyone experienced this? please help

mellyhayes

Asked by mellyhayes at 10:51 AM on May. 11, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My nephew Asthon had the same problem and they put him on Similac sensitive stomach( i think it's Orange) Kelly
    kelcecich

Answer by kelcecich at 10:56 AM on May. 11, 2010

• could be over feeding him. How old is your child and how much/ how often are you feeding?
    Christina2135

Answer by Christina2135 at 10:56 AM on May. 11, 2010

• My kids all did. I used Enfamil Gentlease with my daughter.

{For Babies with Fussiness or Gas. If a baby has common digestive issues, sometimes a formula with reduced lactose and partially broken-down proteins can help. Enfamil Gentlease is a milk-based formula patterned after breast milk*, with reduced lactose† for easier digestion.}

I think it helped a little. Honestly, I don't remember. She's 7 now. I think it was something she just had to outgrow.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 11:05 AM on May. 11, 2010

• Is there a reason you're giving your baby soy formula? You shouldn't give soy unless a milk allergy is suspected.

And spit up can mean so many different things. How often does your baby spit up? How long after a feeding does it occur? How much is contained in the spit up? Is your baby in pain when he/she spits up?
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 11:09 AM on May. 11, 2010

• "what else works for spitting up?"

Breastmilk, but then that's not what you want to hear and now all the FF moms are going to boo and hiss. But it is an honest and truthful answer to your question.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:11 AM on May. 11, 2010

• Hey Breastfeeding Nazi at 11:11, I exclusively breastfed my youngest son and he had HORRIBLE reflux and spit up 8-10 times a day, so formula isn't always the evil culprit. Now go take your Midol like a good little girl and go back to bed.
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 11:38 AM on May. 11, 2010

• my baby is five months old and he drinks every 2-3 hours 4oz or sometimes 5oz. i was bf for the first month ( he was a premature) until i wasnt making enough milk for him. i would pump and pump and nothing he would be crying. the doctor put him on isomil soy milk and even prescribed medicine for acid reflux. but he's still spitting up.
    mellyhayes

Answer by mellyhayes at 11:49 AM on May. 11, 2010

• When my youngest son had reflux, we propped the head of his crib up with a phone book. We also propped him up in his bouncy seat for 30 minutes after a feeding. That improved his spitting up immensely!!

You might also consider taking him to a chiropractor. They are wonderful with babies and problems like this. They will adjust him GENTLY and treat his reflux without medication.
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 11:59 AM on May. 11, 2010

• With a baby with reflux you will still continue to see some spitting up... but hopefully the spit ups are smaller and less often.
    There are several formulas that work well for reflux, but I would talk to your doctor about it before changing because different formulas do different things.
    Now if they suspect a milk allergy then you'll want to stay on a soy formula. But sometimes they try soy just because...
    If a milk based formula is okay to use... Enfamil AR works well for reflux BUT it shouldn't be used with medications because the medications like Zantac and Prilosec change the acidic level in the tummy and makes the AR part of the formula not work right. (same with Similac Sensitive RS)
    You could try a Sensitive formula like Similac Sensitive or Gentalease and see if it works
    And there are more specialized formulas like Alimentum and Nutramagen that taste awful but are sometimes needed if there is an intolerance
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 12:51 PM on May. 11, 2010

• Similac Almentium (sp)?
    Anonymous