Any good suggestions for getting rid of head lice?

My dd came home from school with head lice I have used the lice treatments but don't seem to work sometimes. Any other ideas on how to get rid of them and the nits or losen the nits up so they are easier to comb out. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:52 AM on May. 11, 2010 in Health

• You can contact the Dr. and see what he recommends. I worked at a beauty supply place and several people mentioned the tea tree oil products for helping discourage lice. I can't find that benefit as listed though.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 10:57 AM on May. 11, 2010

• once you tried the store stuff & that don't work try putting mayo in her hair.. if that don't work my uncle used to use lighter fliud umm i think its a little extreme, but it did work.. also don't forget all stuffed toys need to be bagged up sheets, covers,hats need to be washed.. & anyone else in the house will need to be treated also.. combs/brushes cleaned with bleach water
    maiahlynn

Answer by maiahlynn at 10:58 AM on May. 11, 2010

• We used olive oil. It is supposed to smother them. Whatever it did, it worked for us

Answer by admckenzie at 11:09 AM on May. 11, 2010

• i know a mother of 6. 5 girls. she has had her fair share of the girls coming home from school with lice. she swears by lysterine (the mouth wash) she says you have to fill a sink and get the kid to soak their head, hair scalp in the liquid (not diluted) she says it is the only thing she has found works everytime and it is way cheaper than rid. also you might want to wash all soft materials so that the eggs arent living and growing on the carpet/ curtains, etc...
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 2:17 PM on May. 11, 2010