15 month old with bacterial pnemonia(sp) please help

My daughter went to the er on saturday night and they said she has bacterial pnemonia, they prescribed her omnicef and breathing treatments. She will not take her medicine, she is normally pretty good but she just spits everything out, even tylenol. She doesnt do well with breathing treatments either. When she tries to fall asleep she ends up coughing so hard that she vomits. I dont know what to do. The doctor said she didnt need to be admitted but she is not getting better and this is day 4 with no sleep for either of us. Any suggestions ? Please help Im breaking down!

nursinghannah

Asked by nursinghannah at 11:15 AM on May. 11, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Bring her back to the ER and explain she is NOT taking her meds and she is also NOT sleeping. Write down exactly what she's done the past 4 days and tell them she NEEDS to be there to get better.
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 11:26 AM on May. 11, 2010

• For her medication... hold her down and squeeze her cheeks to make fish lips (makes it harder to spit) then take the syringe and put in the back of her cheek and do tiny little squirts while you blow fast puffs of air in her face (causes a swallow reflex)
    She still might spit out some... but if she is getting most of the dose she should be fine.
    If you still can't her to take it then you'll need to call the doctor and either get a different medication... or just have her admitted for IV antibiotics and fluids.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 12:15 PM on May. 11, 2010

• I sometimes mix the antibiotics with some applesauce to get my daughter to take it. It's so important with antibiotics to finish the treatment course. Is it 7 or 10 days? You really want to try to get a week's worth of meds in her.

We have to do breathing treatments, too. It takes a few days, but if you stick with them, they really do help with that cough. I usually get a stack of books ready, then put my daughter on my lap and hold the nozzle under her nose while we read books. The mask is no use to us, so I have to keep her distracted. My brother used to make a blanket fort with my nephew to get him to take the treatments.

As long as she isn't getting worse, doesn't have a fever or isn't wheezing, I'd keep up with the treatments.

I'd just lay some blankets down on the floor with lots of books and toys. As long as the room is baby proof, you can try to get some rest and help your baby rest.
    lvpenguino

Answer by lvpenguino at 2:18 PM on May. 11, 2010