Spinoff of Arizona Law question

La Raza (Spanish for "The Race") has a motto. It says, “Por La Raza todo. Fuera de La Raza nada". For those of you who do not read Spanish, this says translated, "For those of The Race, everything. For those not of The Race, nothing."
What do you think would happen to a white guy who stood up and said "For those of the White race, everything. For those not of the White race, nothing"? He would be dragged away in chains and charged with everything from hate speech to incitement to riot. Well then, why is it openly sanctioned for a person of Latino heritage to do so? Those people who belong to La Raza are simply against everything the United States stands for. They are not part of the Melting Pot, they do not want to assimilate. They do not want to be Americans.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:26 AM on May. 11, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• An example of the OP here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yGqPo5ofk0s 

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:30 AM on May. 11, 2010

• You can assimilate and still have la raza stay intact. This is a latino pride talking, it is in their blood, hard for those who aren't to understand. I am a naturalized American but my Cuban heritage will always be a big part of me, no matter how americanized I am, Why is this allowed, because in the USA there is freedom of speech, and just like anyone else they have it too.

Answer by older at 11:31 AM on May. 11, 2010

• That video is Latino pride?
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 11:35 AM on May. 11, 2010

• tn, I didn't watch the video before making my statement, these people are communist in every sense of the word, anyone who praises Chavez and Fidel Castro has no other defenition, but there is also that pride I talked about only infused with a political agenda.

Answer by older at 11:40 AM on May. 11, 2010

• Funny thing is Hispanics are White...

When asked what Race you are...they would mark White of Hispanic origin. My husband is very proud to be Latino. White people do say things like that...KKK, and other white supremacy groups, and they are not arrested for the things they say.

I also think there is a difference between taking pride in your race/nationality and Hate
    EternalDreams

Answer by EternalDreams at 11:43 AM on May. 11, 2010

• Ohhh they are representing a poor disenfranchised group of people.. they want what they want. They don't even care what it sounds like.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 11:52 AM on May. 11, 2010

• Yes there is a difference.I also strongly believe that wanting to hold onto some heritage from an originated country is one thing BUT living here and having no intention of being loyal to THIS country first is a whole nother.Living here and being offended by our flag is ludicrous.Living here and succeeding in ones goals of betting themselves by way of our free market capitalist system and then vowing to destroy it is also ludicrous and imo just ignorant.
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 11:53 AM on May. 11, 2010

• bettering*
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 11:54 AM on May. 11, 2010

• There is a difference between appreciation for something versus pride in it.

What's to be proud of. God made me Hispanic, I didn't pick it!

I didn't accomplish it!

I can see being proud of an accomplishment, but race, no!

Maybe it's a way for a group to say, "We are a part of humanity and would like to be respected as such", and that's all it should be.

Period.

mustbeGRACE

Answer by mustbeGRACE at 12:49 PM on May. 11, 2010

• wow Grace. I have to agree with you here
    mamakirs

Answer by mamakirs at 1:35 PM on May. 11, 2010