Wh yare parents in such a rush to start food

I am not talking about baby cereal and baby food. I have a friend who had her baby same day as me who I work with. So they will be 4 mnths on Satursay..My babies full formula fed and was breastfed till recently. She chose to start rice at 2 mnths than baby food at 3..Now she is feeding her baby whole milk instead of formula...oreos...icecream...table food there not even 4 mnths yet!!!! I dont get what the rush is. I understand every child and parent is different. But I am a nursing student and whole milk is horrible for babies under 12mnth and oreaos table food? I just dont get it! And I talk to her about it cause shes always critiscing me waiting till 6 mnths to even start rice and she tells me I dont know what im talking about nor does my dr nor the FDA.

NIKKIANDYBABY

Asked by NIKKIANDYBABY at 11:32 AM on May. 11, 2010 in Just for Fun

• Wow. THat's ridiculous. I mean, I can see maybe rice cereal or even some baby foods at 4 months (which was the recommended age when my boys were little) but even with DD we waited til 6 months to start cereals because the doctors are learning more and more about how starting food too early can affect kids. WHY give your kids the potential to have those problems that are caused by starting foods too early? And their systems can not digest cows milk well at that age. Does the baby look healthy? Because with that kind of diet I would think the child could actually be malnourished. That would be my concern. But, it is her child, there is nothing you can say that is going to change her mind. If you have let her know the negatives of it and what can happen, then there is nothing else you can do.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 11:41 AM on May. 11, 2010

• My husband has a family member that is the same way. They could never figure out why their baby was always crying with an upset tummy D: Maybe it was the spicy guacamole and the nacho cheese you fed it... Idiots.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 11:43 AM on May. 11, 2010

• I don't know why people are in a rush but your friend really doesn't care about her baby if she is doing that. In fact I think its child abuse. That baby's digestive system cannot handle it and she is putting unnecessary and dangerous stress on her baby for what reason? Who knows!

People seem to be in a rush about lots of things - maybe it's laziness/selfishness - they want their baby to stop being dependent on them asap.
    keyaziz

Answer by keyaziz at 12:04 PM on May. 11, 2010

• What! And people wonder why childhood obesity is on the rise. What is her reason for filling her kid with crap? Sorry, but stuff like this makes me so mad! ............Vent over, lol.

Btw.... my doctor reccomends starting cereal at 4 months and fruits/veggies at 6 months.
    KITTYCAT1

Answer by KITTYCAT1 at 1:35 PM on May. 11, 2010

• kitty with andrew my dr recomended 4 mnths as well but he said since times have changed

http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/solids/delay-solids.html

They no longer recomend 4 mnths and its backed by all the major health organizations
    NIKKIANDYBABY

Answer by NIKKIANDYBABY at 4:47 PM on May. 11, 2010

• Ashton's Dr. recomended 4 months for cereal, but we're waiting untill 6 months to start anything since I'm bfing. I think 4 months is too early also......
    KITTYCAT1

Answer by KITTYCAT1 at 4:58 PM on May. 11, 2010

• An unwillingness to educate themselves on nutrition

Answer by rkoloms at 9:39 PM on May. 11, 2010