Am I over reacting?

Long story short... I have a few brothers, but my youngest is my dad & stepmom's son. He graduated last June and is now going to community college. Our parents (dad & stepmom) paid for a huge grad party, beach week, several grad gifts, etc. Now they are paying 100% of his college costs. I was never given ANY of this from them. I have no problem saying I'm jealous. Of course I am. But I'm more hurt than anything. I work my butt off and I'm getting ready to graduate from college. I was unable to go to school right out of HS b/c of my financial situation. No one ever paid a DIME toward my schooling. Now my parents are acting like me graduating from college is no big deal. My feelings are really hurt and I don't know how to handle this. Am I over reacting? Have any of you ladies been through this?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:33 AM on May. 11, 2010 in Just for Fun

• No, you are not over reacting, I would ask them why there is a difference in treatment, put them on the spot!

Answer by older at 11:35 AM on May. 11, 2010

• Time for a sit down, heart to heart chat with your dad. I feel bad for you. Fair is fair, he should help you too.
    Lifes-A-Dance

Answer by Lifes-A-Dance at 11:43 AM on May. 11, 2010

• i dont think your overreacting at all. but i would take it out on your brother, because its not his fault.
    my mother has paid my bills, nice things, and college also but im basically an only child.
    my SO's parents dont pay for any of there kids bills, college, or anything but theyve paid for alot more for my SO's brother then they did for him and he doesnt know why ...
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 11:44 AM on May. 11, 2010

• Blended families are tricky, but this happens even in traditional homes if there are different income levels at the time, or as parents age and grow wiser after subsequent children.

My brother's wife was insinuating to my parents that it wasn't fair that they paid for mine and my sister's college, but not his. He chose to leave home, and go to boot camp days after graduation because he didn't get along with my Dad.

My sister was also mad that she had to "share" her graduation party with my husband because he graduated with his master's just days before she graduated H.S., and my parents wanted to do one big party for both.

Life isn't fair. My husband has student loans, while his sister has none. When their parents divorced, one took one kid, and the other parent took the other kid. My husband got the short end because his Dad made less money and didn't contribute to his college expenses.

That's life.
    twin_mommy

Answer by twin_mommy at 12:01 PM on May. 11, 2010

• I have to say that I agree with many of your points, twin mommy. I know life isn't fair. I have several medical problems, work FT, raise my 2 kids, I'm pregnant now, and I'm graduating with a 3.5 from nursing school. I had a rocky relationship w/ my stepmom from the start b/c my real mom hated her, she hated my real mom, and they all tried to hurt each other which put me and my bro (not the one mentioned in the OP) in a bad situation. It just really hurts that no one ever helped me out w/ anything I did in my life. Even when my real mom died, my dad & stepmom didn't offer for me to come live w/ them. IDK... there is so much more to this story than just the school stuff. I think it's all coming to a head now b/c I know that they would never just let my little brother's graduation "pass by" like I know they'll let mine. I truly feel like I'm treated unfairly... mostly by stepmom, but dad doesn't do anything to help the situation
    Anonymous

• Be thankful! Pave your own way and owe no one.
    GMMOLLY

Answer by GMMOLLY at 10:35 AM on May. 12, 2010