So the alternative would be McCain and Palin- did you know this about your belove maverick?

The McCain Relocation

"...the largest forced relocation of U.S. citizens since the relocation of Japanese-Americans during World War II. I feel that in relocating these elderly people, we are as bad as the Nazis that ran the concentration camps in World War II."
-Roger Lewis, federally appointed Relocation Commissioner upon resignation.

Many people do not know that a political walnut shuffle game went on for years to confuse people and make it difficult to tell what was really going on, and what was causing a huge amount of grief and hardship for Navajo and Hopi people in Arizona – not in the nineteenth century, but recently.

A key player behind it was John McCain, working to take land from Native Americans for large scale corporate entities that have supported the Arizona politician, all the while portraying himself as a friend to the tribes.
cont'd

Sacheen.T.

Asked by Sacheen.T. at 11:36 AM on May. 11, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Everyone FOR McCain will find a positive, everyone AGAINST him will find a negative. This is called politics.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:38 AM on May. 11, 2010

• Among groups looking into this, the American Computer Science Association www.acsa2000.net conducted a study revealing "(Public Law 93-531 as amended in 1996 (Partition), 1999 (Settlement), 2001 (Enforcement of Resettlement) and 2005 (Expansion of Resettlement) - bills introduced by Senator McCain - led to the United Nations Special Rapporteur, Hon Abdeltalif Amor's condemnation of human rights violations inside the US, over the stripping of rights and forced resettlement of these gentle and deeply spiritual band of Dineh-Navajo Indians from Arizona, swept off of lands they'd owned since 1500 A.D. so that Peabody Western Coal could mine the Coal from beneath their farmlands and tap their wells to slurry pipe it to a power station in Nevada)...
    Sacheen.T.

Answer by Sacheen.T. at 11:38 AM on May. 11, 2010

• Common Cause has suggested McCain was indirectly compensated by cash contributions to his Federal Election Fund during three Presidential runs, and through family business with Las Vegas Casinos who benefited from the coal driven power he supplied."

John McCain claimed legislation was justified by a non-existent range war between the Dine’ and the Hopi. The Bennet Freeze (P.L.93-531) is well remembered because people living on what is now Hopi Partitioned Land could not legally upgrade their housing (i.e. repair a hole in their roof during the winter) without facing the threat of arrest because they no longer legally own the property their families have lived on for centuries.
    Sacheen.T.

Answer by Sacheen.T. at 11:39 AM on May. 11, 2010

• This type of regular harassment has been described as "low intensity psychological warfare" and it has become commonplace against families resisting relocation at Big Mountain.

Their land was turned over to the coal companies without making any provisions to protect the burial or sacred sites that would be destroyed by the mines. People whose lives were based in their deep spiritual and life-giving relationship with the land were relocated into cities, often without compensation, forbidden to return to the land that their families had occupied for generations. People became homeless with significant increases in alcoholism, suicide, family break up, emotional abuse and death.

John McCain "knows what's best for America", and that's "Straight Talk, my friends"....unless of course you're a Native American.

Would love to hear your thoughts!
    Sacheen.T.

Answer by Sacheen.T. at 11:40 AM on May. 11, 2010

• hmm you know neither of them are president nor VP and if you had any idea of the growing change of political tide within this country you'd know that most are not looking to back neither of them either! lol That includes no other than conservatives as well.So why don't we put at least SOME focus on holding our NOW president accountable for HIS OWN doings shall we?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:43 AM on May. 11, 2010

• That is NOT politics my friend. The land they were relocated to was a nuclear waste site, 25% of the first relocated died within six years. But sure that's okay, just politics.
    Sacheen.T.

Answer by Sacheen.T. at 11:46 AM on May. 11, 2010

• I don't know anything about this and why it was done. I don't even want to look it up. How about everyone just post 1 thing Obama has done that is not fair, is racist, just plain wrong or even illegal. We could go on for days.
    No one is perfect and many people voted for McCain because they knew just what Obama was and didn't want what he had to offer. They may not have liked him that well but knew he was better than Obama. I think very few would call him beloved.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 11:48 AM on May. 11, 2010

• Correction in the question- would've been...not would be
    Sacheen.T.

Answer by Sacheen.T. at 11:51 AM on May. 11, 2010

• I think no matter whose in office that these people shouldn't be forgotten. The Native Americans have been stripped of their rights long before any of these so called leaders were even thought of. I think that's her point in this post. It saddens me when I have passed though the reservations, all the poverty, etc. I look back at my own family and understand why my Great Grandfather, and others decided to move away from their families, tribes etc, they wanted to make a life of their own because they knew they couldn't rely on the Government to help them. All they wanted to do was control them, and it's still going on...
    Good post Sacheen.T.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:52 AM on May. 11, 2010

• Had this come out during his campaign and there was no logical explanation, I think it would have been a career ender. Now???  It is up to the people of AZ to decide if they want him as their Senator. Otherwise, McCain-Palin on a National Level are 'has-beens'... Not sure why "what ifs" of a previous candidate matter, today in 2010 when Barack Obama and his liberal cronies are over spending, over promising, and under delivering........ jmo

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 11:55 AM on May. 11, 2010