Formula

I am planning on breast feeding until I go back to work but after my milk supply decreases what formula should I use?

nakoal87

Asked by nakoal87 at 11:57 AM on May. 11, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• why are you assuming you will need to use formula after you return to work? Lots of women work full time and breastfeed (I did for 18 mos)

now if you don't want to, or won't be able to pump. that is different, but don't sabotage yourself before you start.
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 12:04 PM on May. 11, 2010

• Well Similac Advance is the closet to breat milk. But before switching to fomula I would ask his ped. bcuz all babies are different and sometimes their tummys can't handle certain types of formula.
    momluvsmiles

Answer by momluvsmiles at 12:05 PM on May. 11, 2010

• Whichever one your baby takes well. Honestly. Are you going to stop nursing because you don't want to pump? If you do pump, yes, your supply might dip a little, but the baby usually makes up for it at night. Remember, baby only needs 1 to 1.25 ounces per hour that you are apart. Alternately, you can use formula while you are apart, and nurse when you are home. It doesn't have to be all or nothing. Of course, if you choose to go exclusively to formula, that's up to you, I just wanted you to know that you have options.

Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 12:16 PM on May. 11, 2010

• I don't have a pump and I hated the manual ones so I refuse to use those. I am going to breast feed for as long as I can though. I wouldn't even be worrying about it if it wasn't for my husbands boss cutting their hours and now I have to go back to work to make up the difference.
    nakoal87

Answer by nakoal87 at 12:20 PM on May. 11, 2010

• why not buy an electric pump... in the long run they are less expensive than formula, especially if you plan on more kids
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 12:25 PM on May. 11, 2010

• If you end up having to supplement ( you may or may not) then you may have to try several before finding the one that is right for your baby.  Keep in mind it may take a few feeding for baby to accept the new taste.  I used to mix mine with expressed breast milk when I had to top off a bottle for a feeding while I was working.

But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 12:32 PM on May. 11, 2010

• peanutsmommy1 I wish I could but I just do not have the money right now because we are putting back everything that we can for daddy to be able to take off more than a couple of days when I do have him and the rest is going to the babys needs. :( And being as they cut my husbands hours, we are doing good to be able to do that.
    nakoal87

Answer by nakoal87 at 12:46 PM on May. 11, 2010

• do you qualify for WIC? Some offices will help you get a pump... worth checking into...
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 12:55 PM on May. 11, 2010

• I doubt it because I didn't qualify for medicaid because my husband "makes too much money" but they don't consider the bills that we have either which really burns my butt. Anyways I guess I haven't really tried because we don't qualify for other things because we "make too much" I would love to know where all this "money" is. I will check into it though. I had one with my first son but at the time that I applied for it I wasn't married so that's why I got it with him.
    nakoal87

Answer by nakoal87 at 1:02 PM on May. 11, 2010

• I just looked up qualifications for WIC and we make too much there too. It's down right depressing. We are always on the borderline when qualifying for things, for example we made 10,000 too much a year for me to go back to school, with the WIC it said that we made about 10,000 too much too. *Sigh* but nobody takes into consideration our bills!
    nakoal87

Answer by nakoal87 at 1:07 PM on May. 11, 2010