Separation of Church and State?

http://www.thefoxnation.com/nancy-pelosi/2010/05/10/pelosi-tells-catholic-church-preach-amnesty

Should Nancy be telling the church how to preach? Here is the written section in case you don't want to watch the video.

Pelosi Tells Catholic Church to Preach Amnesty
“I want you to instruct your, whatever the communication is -- the people, some of them, oppose immigration reform are sitting in those pews and you have to tell them that this is a ‘manifestation of our living the gospels.’ Our patron saint of San Francisco, St. Francis of Assisi, he said, ‘Preach the gospel - sometimes use words.’ We need the words to be said because it isn’t being picked up automatically"

itsmesteph11

Asked by itsmesteph11 at 11:58 AM on May. 11, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Wow. She has no room to talk about teachings and Doctrine.

oldermomof5

Answer by oldermomof5 at 12:02 PM on May. 11, 2010

• WTF? Pelosi shouldn't be telling the Catholic Church ANYTHING.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 12:06 PM on May. 11, 2010

• Pelosi is SO laughable.This woman is a complete joke and it is a real shame that for some damn reason she has been allowed to remain in ANY position of power to help craft laws in this country.I really wish folks would wake up and get rid of this woman once and for all.
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 12:11 PM on May. 11, 2010

• She has been known to make up her own favorite Bible passages before......so I question her knowledge of what any saint said.

While there IS a separation of church and state, it is a separation that prohibits the STATE from endorsing or encouraging one particular church. It is to keep the state OUT of our decisions about our church. It is not meant to keep the church out of the state. If the church said that one cannot be a member and worship here UNLESS you do this or that that the state wishes, I think that would be wrong. But any politician can ask that their own church endorse their pet cause, however hypocritical or misguided that politician may be.
    29again

Answer by 29again at 12:13 PM on May. 11, 2010

• Catholic Church Facilitates Foreign Invasion
    Many Americans don’t realize that the U. ... American Catholics are disgusted and outraged by the Catholic hierarchy's statements and antics on this issue. ...
    mountainmediaministries.org/end-times/end-time-articles

The RCC does not need Pelosi.
    Anonymous

• I am highly offended by this. . . and I'm not Catholic. But where the heck does she get off? Either you want the church involved in government, or you don't. How dare she imply what must be taught from a pulpit? And talk about selective text. You don't get to pick and choose which sections of the Bible apply to you. You can't yell " separatiion of church and state about gay marriage " and then yell Amnesty! it's what Jesus would want!
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 1:43 PM on May. 11, 2010

• You don't get to pick and choose which sections of the Bible apply to you. You can't yell " separatiion of church and state about gay marriage " and then yell Amnesty! it's what Jesus would want!
    --------
    Exactly!

While I completely despise the woman, I think she does have the right to discuss this with her own pastor, or priest, or whatever he is called. If she is doing this as a representative of the gov't, with the backing of the gov't, that is completely wrong. If she is doing this as a private member of her church, well, I don't agree, but I think she has the right.
    29again

Answer by 29again at 2:03 PM on May. 11, 2010

• The American Catholic Church fully endorses Amnesty for illegals. Pelosi's thinking is right in line with current church leaders in the church (American).

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 2:14 PM on May. 11, 2010

• That woman is a nut. It's nothing but a political ploy, to pump up their base, since their base is not to good at getting out and voting unless they can make history.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 4:57 PM on May. 11, 2010

• It is not a politician's place to tell the church to do anything. That to me is the reason for the seperation. In my mind it's to protect the church from being politicized although the focus has gone the other way. I've been a member of my church for almost 12 years and I wouldn't be so bold as to tell our Pastor what to preach. Pelosi may be a devout Christian, I know nothing about her in this aspect, but it still is not her place to tell Priests what to preach.
    sopranomommy

Answer by sopranomommy at 9:28 AM on May. 12, 2010