Wow. This really pisses me off...why are some police so incompetent?

Cop gave keys to driver before fatal DUI crash

s he sat in the passenger seat watching Chicago Heights police question his girlfriend today, Cecil Conner didn't seem drunk, authorities said.

So when Kathie LaFond was taken into custody for driving with a suspended license, police gave Conner the keys to the 1998 Chevy Cavalier -- with her 5-year-old son, Michael Langford Jr., strapped in a car seat and sleeping in the back.

Just 40 minutes after that fateful traffic stop, Conner veered off Steger Road and slammed into an evergreen tree in an accident that claimed Michael's life.

Conner's blood-alcohol level was three times the legal limit, and he had marijuana in his system, said Steger police Chief Richard Stultz.

Conner was charged with felony driving under the influence of alcohol and reckless homicide in the single-car accident, police said.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:07 PM on May. 11, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• What was the Mother doing with a drunken stoner in her life? Why did she expose her child to a reprobate like him? She showed such a lack of judgement first of all. And the cop was oblivious,second.
    So....tthree people were at fault. and the poor child was the victim of three deadbeats,idiots Cops don't have to be smart,either. And obviously,this one wasn't. THIS is why pot and booze are so bad...the guy had to let his girlfriend drive with a suspended license becaus he was too drugged up. AND,after the cop saw that her license was expired, he gave the keys back and allowed the idiot stoner/boozer to drive? Is that right? Arghhh......
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 12:56 PM on May. 11, 2010

• that is so sad....
    June_Mama09

Answer by June_Mama09 at 12:08 PM on May. 11, 2010

• That is sad but I mean I am sure they did not let him go on purpose.... I mean if they knew he was messed up... what purpose would it serve them to just let him go....... Also you have to wonder...the mother could have said something about not wanting the man to drive her son because he was messed up... ( she could of even yelled it as they were dragging her butt away)
    glamomomo

Answer by glamomomo at 12:10 PM on May. 11, 2010

• I'm not saying they did it on purpose. But they're supposed to be professionals. When a child dies because of their stupidity "they didn't know" falls sort of flat.
    Anonymous

• DUM ASS'S ! ! !
    Anonymous

• The mother was NOT drunk or high. She was taken to the police station, questioned and released. Sure, driving under a suspended license isn't smart but it didn't necessarily endanger the child.

http://www.chicagobreakingnews.com/2010/05/boy-killed-in-1-car-crash-in-steger.html
    Anonymous

• I mean of course that explantion "falls short" and its ho0rrible.......but I have seen people really messed up and most people wouldnt even beable to tell ( since they have been doing it for so long, I guess they just dont show it?)

but also if they pulled the car over ...found out she has a sus. lisence and took her in.... I mean for that, they are not going to test the passenger... and if he wasnt acting funny... they wouldnt have had a real right to test him....

I would blame the mother more than I would the cops... she would have been right there and knew they were letting him dirve it, and would have known he was messed up ...and could of said she didnt want him driving her son...
    glamomomo

Answer by glamomomo at 12:27 PM on May. 11, 2010

• If the guy was too drunk/stoned to drive why didn't he or the mother say so? Why are they not responsible for their own actions? But I guess losers always look for someone else to blame when they screw up. Never stand up and admit that they are themselves 100% at fault.
    Anonymous

• I looked at the article and pic... he said another car hit him ( but that there wasnt evidence) .....and also that he hit a tree -- but in the pic the front end doesn t look damaged at all........and on the comment sections - the first poster seems to be an eyewitness ....
    glamomomo

Answer by glamomomo at 12:35 PM on May. 11, 2010

• Just from what I am gathering.....If the officer did not have reasonable cause to believe he was intoxicated, the officer couldn't assume. Why didn't the mother or the passenger fully disclose he was too drunk to drive.  The officer would not have arrested him.  He would have made him call for someone to come pick them up. 

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 12:43 PM on May. 11, 2010