Keeping the faith intact regardless.........

This is what I strive for, to have more parents feel as this lady does, and yet keeping her faith intact. Their church (catholic) turned their backs on them but wasn't enough to destroy her faith.
How many of you can see yourself doing the same?

http://www.parentdish.com/2010/05/09/amazing-mom-yolande-dumont/?icid=main|htmlws-main-n|dl3|link3|http%3A%2F%2Fwww.parentdish.com%2F2010%2F05%2F09%2Famazing-mom-yolande-dumont%2F

Asked by older at 12:27 PM on May. 11, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

Level 69 (2,285,492 Credits)
  • I don't care what people say they WILL do should their child turn out gay.....no one knows at all how they would react until they are in it. I am willing to bet, more times than not, a parent who was adamant about "not supporting their lifestyle" and would go to certain measures to make it known, would become insignificant after seeing their child happy beyond belief with their partner.

When you see your child, gay or straight, find that happiness with another person, and you see the other person treat your child with nothing but love and caring, YOUR own "concerns" and needs regarding their personal life becomes null and void. You become blind to your own discrimination's in the face of your childs complete happiness.

I think it becomes about THEIR happiness, instead of your need to make a "statement" and judgement call about their life....as it should be.

sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 4:16 PM on May. 11, 2010

• I'm not going to comment on this b/c you know my stance.

HOWEVER, I think it was funny how she sounds like Marie on Everybody Loves Raymond.. and her son is named Raymond :)
    missbreezy214

Answer by missbreezy214 at 1:52 PM on May. 11, 2010

• yeah, missbreezy, I thought the same. I know your stance, but could you see yourself in this womans shoes, if one of yours was gay?

Answer by older at 1:55 PM on May. 11, 2010

• If my son was gay I would openly disagree with him. I would love him regardless, but I would never agree with the lifestyle, and I would never for one moment think that it wasn't wrong. I would be deeply saddened by the fact my son was acting on those feelings and that if he continued he would not join me in heaven (that is what I believe, I know many others don't). I would not have encouraged anyone to vote for gay marriage. I would simply love my son for himself, but I would not love his sin (whether it was the homosexuality or another sin, I wouldn't love that. I love my child, not his disobedience, etc.)
    missbreezy214

Answer by missbreezy214 at 2:06 PM on May. 11, 2010

• so missbreezy, would your reply mean that if he were to be in the lifestyle you would not participate in his life because of it? You would rather loose your connection than deal with the lifestyle he is in? and loose him as an adult because of this? Years of nurturing down the drain?
    I an totally understand your stance, but would this keep you away from sharing his life, if he was gay and chose to be opened about it?

Answer by older at 2:12 PM on May. 11, 2010

• That isn't what I meant at all. I would keep him in my life... what if there was no one else to lead him back to God if it came to that? I would accept that he was gay and if he had a partner, I would acknowledge it. But I would not SUPPORT it. I wouldn't say its ok. I would tell his partner I don't agree with it. If my son came out as a teen, he would not be able to date men as long as he lived under my roof (as far as I can control it). Nor would I introduce his partner as his partner. "so and so meet my son's FRIEND so and so." I can't prevent anyone from doing anything, not even my kids at a certain point, but it doesn't mean I have to condone it or say its ok. Just b/c a child of mine was gay wouldn't change my religion and beliefs. GOD comes before my hubby or my kids. As hard as that might be, that's how it is supposed to be.
    missbreezy214

Answer by missbreezy214 at 2:46 PM on May. 11, 2010

• miss, I see........personally I can't see anything coming before my kids and hubby and my family in general, and I am a beleiver in God, but if this what works for you, power to you. Some people tend to think that supporting would mean being a part of their lifestylle, sharing family gatherings with their respective partners, etc., making their partners part of the family, so when you say you wouldn't support, none of these activities would happen? I am not talking here about adolesence but grown kids with their own lives.

Answer by older at 2:55 PM on May. 11, 2010

• missbreezy, please I mean no offense with my questions, I deal with parents like you many times, and talking here gives me an insight on what to tell these young gay adults what to expect.

Answer by older at 2:57 PM on May. 11, 2010

• Well, I wouldn't want to exclude my son from family gatherings, etc. But his partner would be no more to us than a good friend to our son I mean, we wouldn't DENY what was going on, but we wouldn't encourage it. I would not be part of their life style. I have never been in the situation, so I don't know what kind of balance would happen. But there would be a balance.
    However, my son is all testosterone and I doubt that he will be gay (if he was it would be a choice, not inborn, which I think is possible, but not proven)
    I don't think of gays as bad people, etc. they can be better parents and people than heterosexuals many times. But it is (I believe) still wrong in God's eyes (i've studied, i wish it wasn't so, i wish it didn't matter, but it does) and being a Christian means putting God first. It doesn't mean being radical, but there are priorities, and God comes first.
    missbreezy214

Answer by missbreezy214 at 3:10 PM on May. 11, 2010

• And I take no offense. I am fine as long as anyone who disagrees with me is respectful. I try my best to be respectful to those who disagree with me as well. :)
    missbreezy214

Answer by missbreezy214 at 3:11 PM on May. 11, 2010