Has anyone ever joined a book club for kids?

We are in desperate need of "big boy" books...and cleaning shelf. And books can be so expensive. I dig at all the discount stores and never find any of the good classics or cute new titles. I saw an offer for 6 books for $2 plus a free gift and you only have to buy 4 more books over the next year...plus you can always cancel at anytime. They have great books plus everything is online...and they send a catalog. I got a little deja vu of the "Columbia House" cassette clubs when I was a teenager that I sent a penny two and they would send all these random tapes and my mom yelled at me. :) Just wondered if anyone else ever did one of these. THANKS!!!! The website was http://www.4kidsbookclub.com

teddyandpeter

Asked by teddyandpeter at 12:43 PM on May. 11, 2010 in Shopping

• i checked out the site and it seems alright. you just need to pay for the shipping. I usually buy books at my child's school during book fairs because it helps with the fundraising efforts of the school although it's quite pricey. Aside from that, I buy workbooks or reference books at borders. But, for the fiction and non-fiction we just go to the library and borrow books there. They also sell some books in the library at dirt cheap prices. My kids reads way too much books and they can read 3 short chapter books in one morning so I just stopped buying the books unless it's their favorite and would like to own one.
    LavenderRose10

Answer by LavenderRose10 at 3:00 PM on May. 11, 2010

• Before I would do that checkout paperbackswap.com, great book swapping site, you pay postage for outgoing books but incoming books are free. I have gotten dozens of books. I think there are other "swap" sites but this is the one my family all use.

PS they even have a sister site that does CD's and DVD's.

emptynstr

Answer by emptynstr at 11:07 AM on May. 12, 2010

• I tried paperbackswap.com and it was just too much trouble for me mailing books out and waiting til people requested my books to be able to get more. I do Childrens Book of the Month Club and I love it. I got 6 books for $1 plus shipping, and then bought 2 more books at half price that counted towards my 4 books in 2 years. So I spent a total of $11 for 8 AWESOME books, and their prices for the other 2 books at club price are pretty good, and then they have LOTS of discount books. You set up an account online and just go on every month and decline your featured selections, or they will mail the featured selection out to you but you do have the option to return it if you don't want it and forget to decline it. It's a really good club.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 1:33 AM on May. 13, 2010

• I do childrens book of the month club too. We love it!
    nkkk07

Answer by nkkk07 at 12:32 PM on May. 13, 2010

• Yes....and they are WAY WAY more expensive than just picking up books at the store for him. Is there a HALF PRICE BOOKS in your area? Also shop Amazon.com for kid books in the sale section. Clubs are stupidy expensive.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:57 AM on May. 23, 2010

• Half Price Books is awesome. Lots of great books for small prices.
    extremelibrary

Answer by extremelibrary at 9:19 PM on Jun. 28, 2010