Potty Training Questions: WHEN? WHERE? HOW? Panties or Pull Ups? and any other useful tactics! thanks mamas

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:06 PM on May. 11, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Here's the method we more-or-less followed with our first, and which I recommend:
    http://www.cafemom.com/group/562/forums/read/4235060/3_Day_Potty_Training_Post
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 2:04 PM on May. 11, 2010

• I started between 16 and 18 months with both of my boys. We went straight from diapers to undies. I would put them in undies during the day and diapers at night or when out in public (but that only lasted for 6/8 weeks) and then they were in undies all the time. We had a special song we would sing everytime they used the potty, we also would put them on the potty every hour and after they woke up.
    laciD

Answer by laciD at 1:12 PM on May. 11, 2010

• I started my son at about 15 months just letting him sit on it whenever I was using the bathroom to introduce it, He caught on quickly. I realized a month later he was ready and he was. Take them to the bathroom every 20-30 mins. Ask if they have to go potty frequently, but don't be to aggressive with it or it will make it a lot harder on you. Try giving them treat. We bought a bag of tootsie rolls and every time he would use the bathroom I would cheer him on clapping my hands saying yay and telling him how good it was, then I would give him a tootsie.
    mrsbean08

Answer by mrsbean08 at 1:26 PM on May. 11, 2010

• With my 1st we went straight to undies one day at 19 months. It took her about 2 weeks to start telling us consistently when she needed to go, but she still had occasional accidents. She only wore a pull-up at night, not for outings, so we stayed home for the first 4 days until she somewhat had the hang of it. She finally started waking up dry at almost 3, so we're just now trying no pull-up for nighttime. With my 2nd she was asking to go potty by 16 months, she was dry often in the morning, and had a big sis to learn from, so we started a bit more gradually, having her sit after meals, before and after sleep, kind of as a ritual. A few minutes at a time. We just pulled down her diaper. We started having a lot of "hits" by 17 months and at 17.5 months her diaper was never wet enough to change, so we switched to underwear. She's in school, so it's been a slower process, but at 20 months now she's trained day & night.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 2:03 PM on May. 11, 2010