Potty training question?

Just started potty training my 3 yr old yesterday. We went straight to underwear and he even slept in underwear last night. When he got up this morning, of course he was peed through. I was wanting to just go cold turkey all the way, and I still want to, but my question is, would it make him regress if I put him in a pull up at night? He is doing good so far today, no accidents as of yet....but will he regress with a pull up on at night?

LandonsMa0403

Asked by LandonsMa0403 at 1:16 PM on May. 11, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• They take a lot longer to become dry at night. Go ahead and put him in a diaper at night. It's OK. It sounds like you are doing great!
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 1:32 PM on May. 11, 2010

• I don't think it would hurt him to have a pull-up on at night. My daughter was day trained at 19 months but she JUST started waking up dry most of the time in the past few weeks and she's almost 3 now. We tried "training" her at night and it just led to bad sleep and a lot of clean-up for all of us. My 20 month old, on the other hand, is dry at night already. Some of them just have the bladder capacity or awareness necessary to not pee while unconscious sooner than others. In your situation, though, training a three year-old, I think you could go either way. Just because he didn't stay dry the first night doesn't mean he won't tonight... I think you could give it up to a week if you can stomach it, although seeing how my daughter just started doing it on her own when she was ready, I think I would do a pull-up at night if I personally were in your situation. BTW we also did straight to underwear. GL.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 1:59 PM on May. 11, 2010

• My son is 3 and we're also in the process of potty training. I put him in a pullup at night as he pees alot at night. I expect it will take a lot longer to get him to be dry through the night.
    momofryan07

Answer by momofryan07 at 9:37 PM on May. 11, 2010