What exactly is "baby wearing"?

Not a new mommy here..I am well weathered,lol. I have seen this term "baby wearing" on here a few times and I'm not quite sure I know exactly what it is?
And why?What benefit is this type of thing supposed to entail?Anyone know?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:29 PM on May. 11, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• go here: http://www.cafemom.com/journals/read/1582037/Babywearing_Traditional_Styles

Babywearing allows you to go about your business (like household chores) while meeting the needs of babies who need to be held a lot.  Baby wearing also helps with breastfeeding and helps the baby regulate body temperature, breathing, and sleeping (its the cornerstone of kangeroo care for premies).           There are many ways to wear a baby safely and easily.  I tell you , it is easier to wear a baby than it is to lug around 15 pounds of molded plastic and large gear with wheels.

amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 2:12 PM on May. 11, 2010

• baby wearing is where you wear your baby in a sling. Some people say it helps with bonding.
    Anonymous

• like the first poster said ...its suppose to help with bonding

when my kids were newborns I would wear them in one while I was cleaning lol
    glamomomo

Answer by glamomomo at 1:31 PM on May. 11, 2010

• Using a sling or carrier to hold your child. So that the child is with you instead of in a stroller.
    kimmykim

Answer by kimmykim at 1:32 PM on May. 11, 2010

• Ohhhh...I see. So its not all the time 24-7 wear your kids like a shirt...its just in place of the alternative stroller ride and such. I understand now, thanks ladies!
    In that case, I think I "wore" my kids without even knowing that there was a name for it, haha. :)
    Anonymous

• There are some people who are hard core baby wearers, I am more of a convience wearer. Someplaces, its just a total PITA to take a stroller. Our state's only childrens hospital is a total PITA to take a stroller. Big heavy wooden doors, tiny elevators, poorly laid out bathrooms, etc... So for places like that I still wear my 15 month old. When both of my boys were babies, I wore them because they acid reflux and being upright and held allowed me to still get things done while comforting them. We still use our strollers for places that are stroller friendly, evening walks, and shopping at the mall.
    karamille

Answer by karamille at 1:38 PM on May. 11, 2010