can homeschooled children play "school sports"

I am going to homeschool my children... I already know I can ( and plan) to put them in things like dance and karate ... but I would love if my son could play like football and stuff.... but since that is a school sports team...would he beable to since he isnt even registered with it ?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:35 PM on May. 11, 2010 in Just for Fun

• Check with your school district. I homeschooled my kids in two different school districts. Both allowed them to play school sports, and to even take a class here and there. One of my sons took a pre-calculus class, and one took a guitar class.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 1:38 PM on May. 11, 2010

• Yes they can. They can play at the school you are zoned for.
    imamommmmyyy

Answer by imamommmmyyy at 1:38 PM on May. 11, 2010

• It depends on the state. I homeschooled mine until 10th, 9th and 7th grades and in our state you cannot play sports if you do not attend the school. And honestly, why would you do that...the school isn't good enough for your child to attend but you want them to reap the social benefits??? That's just WORONG IMO. That is why, because my children wanted to play sports & be in drama, choir, school clubs, etc., that we enrolled our children in school. There was no point to deprive them of those things that they wanted to do and I wasn't going to raise a fuss to force the school to allow them to do so. That would have been wrong.
    Anonymous

• wrong not worong.
    Anonymous

• Anon:41 - you have no idea why we are going to homeschool....and the fact that they are shouldnt keep them from making friends and playing the sports that we love...
    Anonymous

• Check with your school district. Ours allows homeschooled children to participate in school activities, but we choose not to. They have plenty of other activities.

Anon :41, if she's paying school taxes like everyone else, she should be able to use whatever "benefits" from the school district she wants to. It's none of your business so shut your trap.
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 1:52 PM on May. 11, 2010