2 year old that wont eat

Last week my daughter had a fever for 3 days stright of 103 and higher. Took her to the dr and they said it was just a virus and had to run its course. Well Friday night her fever went up to 104.2 and her thoat was REALLY swelled. Took her to the ER and they told me the same thing. Saturday she wouldnt eat or drink ANYTHING. Sunday she started drinking more juice, but still not eating. Well now its tuesday and she is drinking maybe 3 cups of juice or water but still not eating, she has 2 blisters on her tounge but not anywhere else in her mouth. Her fever is down, im just worried about her not eating. She also always fights sleep, but now she will just lay down anywhere anytime and go to sleep for hours and still sleeping 10-12 hours a night. Is all this normal?!?!? Please any input would be VERY helpful! Thanks = )

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:36 PM on May. 11, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Sounds like hand, foot, mouth disease. Its one of the childhood viral illness that most gets get. Quit giving her juice. It will make the blisters worse. Stick to milk products, ice cream, yogurt, etc... the milk will coat the blisters and keep her more comfortable. Give her tylenol or motrin to control her fever and cut some of the pain of hte blisters. She's probably afraid to eat because of how bad her throat has hurt. Keep bribing her with her favorite foods. Good luck.
    karamille

Answer by karamille at 1:43 PM on May. 11, 2010

• Maybe she is making up for lost sleep or from the exaughstion of the fever. Whats most important is that she stays hydrated, you might want to try some pedialite since she had a faver. As for the eating, I wouldnt worry too much, keep offering, she wont let herself starve. However if days go by and you feel like she is still not eating consult the doc. GL
    Ziggy-Stardust

Answer by Ziggy-Stardust at 1:43 PM on May. 11, 2010

• I agree with Karamille. My daughter had it about a year ago. Her doctor told me to give her motrin and to give her a little bit of liquid acid reducer. Just enough to coat her tongue. The only thing I could get my daughter to eat while she had it was scrambled eggs and she drank milk. That was it. It only lasted a week but it was HELL! Good luck and message me if you have any questions!
    hornz102485

Answer by hornz102485 at 2:22 PM on May. 11, 2010

• My son has this very same thing right now and it is some kind of hand foot mouth disease. His is diagnosed as a different name though b/c it is all in his throat and on his tounge. He doesn't have any blisters on his mouth though and never ran the high fever always just low grade. But he drooled pools and pools of water all day. He is in his 5th day of having it since the dr diagnosed it. They had to put my son on loratabs b/c he was in so much pain. Apparently it is going around right now. I live in OK and I know of 4 kids who got it including my son in his daycare and there is another daycare close by that has a case of it going around. It is very contagious and can last up to 7 to 10 days and if the fever breaks it can last up to 14 days. It is very rough on my son right now but the dr said it just has to run its course b/c it is a viral bacteria and they can't do anything for it. I hope your lil one gets to feeling better
    leann74016

Answer by leann74016 at 3:47 PM on May. 11, 2010