HOW TO CHOOSE A CARSEAT, STROLLER, & CRIB

I'M EXPECTING MY SON TOWARDS THE END OF JUNE AND HAVE BEEN PUTTING OFF BUYING THESE THING BECAUSE I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT TO LOOK FOR IN PURCHASING ONE, I'M FREAKING NOW BECAUSE ITS SO CLOSE TO BABY DAY AND WE DON'T HAVE ANYTHING, I'M NERVOUS MOSTLY BECAUSE I AM ALWAYS HEARING ABOUT BABY STUFF BEING RECALLED, HELP PLEASE.

newmommie091

Asked by newmommie091 at 1:41 PM on May. 11, 2010 in General Parenting

• for the car seat I would recommend the chicco keyfit or the graco onboard 35
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 1:42 PM on May. 11, 2010

• Graco snug rite always do well on safety testing, rarely are recalled, and they make compatable strollers. :)
    karamille

Answer by karamille at 1:44 PM on May. 11, 2010

• Graco makes great, affordable, baby gear. You can get a nice travel system on sale for around $150. As for a crib, I don't know what to tell you. I still use the same crib that belonged to me 28yrs ago b/c it still meets safety standards of today and has never had a recall. If you plan to have more kids, make an investment in the baby gear b/c you'll likely use it again... but remember that car seats expire after 6 years.

Good Luck and CONGRATS!!!
    Luvmylilmonkies

Answer by Luvmylilmonkies at 1:50 PM on May. 11, 2010

• Definitly the Chicco Cortina KeyFit Travel System. The set includes the stroller, infant carseat and base for the car. You don't have to rush out for a crib. All you need is a Graco Pack 'n Play. The baby can sleep in it instead of a bassinett, just add a waterproof pad that they sell for it. It is much more comfortable for the baby. It has an attached changing table too. I would also recommend a Fisher-Price Open-Top Cradle Swing. The baby will Love it and it soothes them. Also get the Tiny Love Gymini® Super Deluxe Play Mat - Lights & Music. The baby can lie on their back and play withe the toys. Later on when the baby can hold their head up definitly buy a Evenflo ExerSaucer. It strengthens their legs before they walk. Best wishes!!
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 1:55 PM on May. 11, 2010

• Later on when the baby can hold their head up definitly buy a Evenflo ExerSaucer. It strengthens their legs before they walk.

That is actually not true. Exersaucer type things for children are not the worst thing but they certainly do not strengthen legs or help them walk. Actually the opposite.  Here is a link to check out. http://www.ebeanstalk.com/articles/exersaucers-swings-and-jumpers.php

Luuckymommy

Answer by Luuckymommy at 2:01 PM on May. 11, 2010

• Are you looking for an infant carrier seat, or a convertible car seat?

Carrier, I'd go with a Graco SnugRide 32 (I think it's 32 lbs), Safety 1st OnBoard 35, or Chicco KeyFit 30.
    Convertible, First Years True Fit, or Graco My Ride 65. There are plenty others to choose from. What is your budget, and what are you looking to get out of your car seat?
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 2:02 PM on May. 11, 2010

• One thing I did was go online and check the reviews that other people have written. And think about what you want in the product, do you want a crib that will grow with your child and become a full size bed later on? Or do you just want a basic crib? Do you want a large stroller that can carry a carseat and has a large storage basket underneath, or a small stroller? Do you want a lightweight carseat/carrier, or one that can fit your child for a long time? Do you want it to match the stroller? There isn't anything you can do to prevent buying something that will be recalled in the future, but it's probably safer to go with something that's been around for a while and has lots of good reviews than something thats brand new and hasn't been tried by many people yet. Don't get too obsessed about it though. I spent way too much time researching it all and still ended up hating my stroller and highchair.
    mybella81

Answer by mybella81 at 2:03 PM on May. 11, 2010

• Like PP's go with Graco .

How did your baby shower go ?????
    khf22

Answer by khf22 at 2:03 PM on May. 11, 2010

• http://answers.google.com/answers/threadview/id/745582.html
    Anonymous

• Also sign up for email alerts at www.cpsc.gov
    The Consumer Product Safety Commission: official Federal Agency website, including recalls, reports, alerts
    You'll get emails on all the latest recalls on baby items, toys and more. It's great.

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 2:20 PM on May. 11, 2010