Week old kittens, mama cat and...FLEAS! :(

They are not bad yet. But I seen a flea on one of the blonde kittys belly.
We all know this is the beginning of the time of the year when all flea hell can break loose if not kept under control.
Yes, the mama cat is an indoor/outdoor cat...we live in the country and have a barn and several acres of land and it would be like torture to her to keep her in the house,lol.
This is what I did..and I'm wondering if it should be okay and what have YOU tried that has worked?

I replaced the blanket in the box that they are sleeping in. I sprinkled the BOTTOM only of the box lightly with flea powder.For mama cat, I put that one spot 3 month flea treatment down her back and tail and kept her out of the room until it was dry. Now, normally I would do the flea collar, the flea bath,the flea powder..the whole 9...but I'm worried about the lil kitties getting poisoned from the chemicals.Think the flea spot shot will be okay?

kimberlyinberea

Asked by kimberlyinberea at 2:01 PM on May. 11, 2010 in Pets

• Get a prescription flea control from your vet like revolution or frontline-plus are safe for the mother cat. Ask your Vet about frontline spay, I believe it is safe for kittens. Do not use flea dip or store bought flea drops!

You can also give them all a bath with DAWN dish soap.
    You might want to deworm the mother cat too. If she accidentally swallows a flea she will get worms.
    r4str

Answer by r4str at 12:39 AM on May. 12, 2010

• You could probably call your local vet office. They'd probably provide you with a better answer than you'll get here.
    MomMom23

Answer by MomMom23 at 2:12 PM on May. 11, 2010

• Call your vet!
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 2:13 PM on May. 11, 2010

• Call your vet. Fleas can kill small kittens. Take too much of their blood and make them anemic to the point they die. I **THINK** usual treatment is a bath in a flea soap for babies, then treat mom more agressively. But call the vet and ask them. They may have a special wash for the kittens.
    karamille

Answer by karamille at 2:35 PM on May. 11, 2010

• You can wash them in DAWN dish soap. The fleas will be floating in the water. Call you vet too.
    forevermom75

Answer by forevermom75 at 3:48 PM on May. 11, 2010

• food grade diatomaceous earth

i give it to all my animals and rub it on their coats...tho i give it to the cats for a week at a time every few months and the dogs everyday

http://www.diatomitecanada.com/learn-about-de.htm

ccmj

Answer by ccmj at 6:28 PM on May. 11, 2010

• Give the kittens a bath in dawn dish soap. Replace all their bedding. Call the vet to see what you can do for the mother.
    Keksie

Answer by Keksie at 9:11 PM on May. 11, 2010

• Fleas can kill kittens. You can wash the kittens with dawn. Make sure you get all the soap off. The kittens have to be at least 8 weeks old to apply a flea product. I would highly recommend Frontline. We have had a lot of problems with the Hartz flea products. I have seen cats having seizures from using Hartz.
    moemoesmom

Answer by moemoesmom at 10:12 AM on May. 12, 2010