Moms in Indiana: My Husband Just Received a Job Offer There...Could You Give Me Some Info?

I'm a SAHM to 3 kids (a baby & 2 toddlers) and am scared to death to move. I've lived in TX my whole life. People are friendly here and have conservative family values. I'm Baptist and this is the southern Bible belt. Could you tell me a bit about IN, please? His job offer is in Carmel. Is it a good place to raise a family?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:08 PM on May. 11, 2010 in Money & Work

• Yes Carmel is a nice place to raise a family. All moves are scary but I think it is a really nice area. I live in southern IL now so its about 3 1/2 hours from where you are talking but I have been there. It is nice and not too "city" like. It has been a growing area and has lots of shops but it is very nice compared to Indianapolis. It is basically the really nice suburb of indy. I wish I knew more to tell you but I used to love to go shopping up there. Plenty of nice Christian people but the winter will kill ya lol. It gets COLD!!
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 2:18 PM on May. 11, 2010

• Also I would say go with an open mind. Indy area has ALOT to do for kids and great parks, awesome childrens museum and zoo. I lived on the north side of Indy for a while so I may be able to answer questions. Change is hard with a family but if you look at it like and adventure it will be alot better.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 2:23 PM on May. 11, 2010

• Sorry I was thinking of the Hammond area don't ask me why. Yes Carmal is a great place. As far as cold it's not that bad but I live in Northen Indiana.
    oldermomof5

Answer by oldermomof5 at 2:26 PM on May. 11, 2010

• It is waaaayyyy colder than Texas lol
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 2:39 PM on May. 11, 2010

• OP: Yes, we have mild winters in my area of TX. Anything under 65 degrees and my kids don't go out to play and anything under 60 degrees is miserable. I'm not looking forward to snowy winters.
    Anonymous

• Indiana is great. There are a variety of people, so it tends to have some conservative and some liberal. Carmel has a stereotype for being a snobby area of Indy, but you know how stereotypes are. I don't know how much your DH will be making, but Carmel is a bit pricey, so if it seems expensive when you start looking, you might try living in Fisher or Castleton (which is near 465 and I-69 area.
    There is a lot to do in Indy and it's a great place to live. But yet, the snowy winters suck! Good thing is that the snow usually gets cleared out by the end of the day, so if you're a SAHM it won't bother you too mcuh. But you will probabyl get cabin fever from being int he house, so join the Children's Museum annual membership, go to the zoo, find some playdate groups.
    SherriPie

Answer by SherriPie at 7:46 AM on May. 12, 2010

• My DH will be making around $110,000 a year before taxes. Will that be good for the Carmel area?
    Anonymous