FAT Kid!

My SIL's 3 year old son is 32 inches tall and weighs 65 lbs! Thats off the chart for weight,and not even ON it for height! My son is 9 and 57 lbs.I can't believe she let her son get SO BIG! How would you even begin to approach the subject of his weight? She's setting him up for SO MANY health conditions! He's not in preschool,so he basically just sits at Grandma's and eats.She doesn't do anything physical with him.By the way,my intervening by taking him isn't an option.We live in different towns. Could this be a matter for CPS,or is that just for underfed kids? Can his pediatrician report her?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:41 PM on May. 11, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Maybe just bring it up as a health question. Say you saw something on here that got you thinking and you wondered if his doctor was concerned or if they had checked for any thyroid issues or if they just think he is "big-boned." That is the least offensive way I can think of to open the door to this conversation. Just be prepared to not be received well and to retreat. I do think a child this size should bring up some red flags. Maybe it is nothing major, or maybe he is starting down a road of lifelong problems.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 4:19 PM on May. 11, 2010

• it's none of your business...now if you went about it nicely and were really concerned about the child, okay but it sounds like you're being mean to his mom and him by calling him fat
    Anonymous

• This would never be considered an abuse issue. Her pediatrician is the one to counsel her. I honestly doubt if there is any way you could say anything to her about it without causing a lot of hurt feelings and problems.
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 2:44 PM on May. 11, 2010

• Some kids are just BIG. If he's not healthy, that's the dr's call... and trust me, they will let the parent know if they are concerned. My oldest son has always had trouble gaining weight... always in the low percentiles for his weight. DS2 is 2 and is 35 in tall and weighs 33 lbs, DS3 is 13 mos old and is 30 in tall and weighs 27 lbs. The drs arent concerned bc they've stayed in the same percentile (roughly) since birth. When DS3 was born, he was 9 lb 13 oz and 22 1/2 in long.
    MunchiesMom324

Answer by MunchiesMom324 at 2:47 PM on May. 11, 2010

• You can not be reported for having a over weight kid. Do you know if he has a medical issue? I am sure it has been talked about with a doctor.
    Anonymous

• my daughter just turned 6 and is 61lbs,and is 50 inches.. but she is by no means fat. shes just verry tall for her age. i would just mind your own business. i dont think theres anything cps can do..they have actual problems they have to deal with. if you HAVE to say something, why not look into some sports camps or something, and say "hey i saw this cool soccer camp lil johnny might be interested in" or "have you thought about putting him in swimming lessons" cuz swimming is something every kid should know! good luck
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 2:50 PM on May. 11, 2010

• why cant you just say to her "hey dont you think hes getting a little overweight? do you want some healthy food recipies or something" "i dont mean to offend you, i just wouldnt want to see him get picked on when hes older, or have health problems."
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 2:54 PM on May. 11, 2010

• None of your business.
    Anonymous

• OP here,Grandma is 53,no where near elderly. My point was that he is short and should not be weighing no 65 lbs! I see the ladies who post that your kids are short AND little,or TALL and bigger. Not the same thing.....I can't see why folks are allowed by law to allowtheir kids to get so big their health is an issue and no one says a damn thing about it!
    Anonymous

• My son was born 10 pounds five ounces by the time he was two he weighed 45 pounds. People were always telling me how overweight he was the doctor as well as he turned two we found out he was lactose intolerant and five months later he dropped 20 pounds and we found out he had cancer. So maybe you could pull her aside and let her know. I was reported for it by the time they came it changed.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 3:35 PM on May. 11, 2010