struggle with clothing my 7 year old!

I used to let my daughter choose what she wants to wear before. But lately I started to prepare her clothes to wear for the next day so that she can look nicer. I also noticed that she has plenty of clothes that I can mix and match. But, she hates the clothes I pick out. She wants to wear her awful, ugly, yucky old with stains and holes clothing... She told me more than 10 times this morning that she doesn't like to wear leggings. After the 10th time and without my coffee yet, I just snapped at her. =( How do you deal with your child's clothing choices?

LavenderRose10

Asked by LavenderRose10 at 2:46 PM on May. 11, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Take the really awful, stained holy things out of her drawer and give them away. Put the nicer things on top and let her pick.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 2:49 PM on May. 11, 2010

• All the cloths you do not like, Take out of her closet/room. Throw them away. Then she will have to wear the cloths you want. Problem solved. That is what I would do. Go through her cloths while she is at school, so she will not freak out.

Answer by louise2 at 2:52 PM on May. 11, 2010

• lol, my daughter is kinda the same, except she only wants to wear certain things..she has soooooo many clothes, and yet all she wants to wear are leggings, a certain skirt, and a shirt...but yet she wont wear it if its dirty..lol..so i just stopped washing the skirt HAHAH i feel bad, but...whatever...shes 6, and we have come to an agreement, where she is allowed to pick ONE item of clothing..so if she picks a skirt, i get to pick the shirt...and vice versa...seems to be working really well...its worth a shot..but if its the weekend, and were not going anywhere, or after school etc, she can wear whatever she wants..but when we go out, or in the morning before school we decide together..(technically we decide befor ebed at night, but same thing) lol..gooood luck!!!
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 2:55 PM on May. 11, 2010

• My 5 yr old has been picky about her clothes since birth practically. ;) I simply head it off before it's an issue. Megan goes shopping with me for her clothes. She picks out what she's willing to wear. I refuse to buy what I'm not willing to buy. We reach a compromise and we're all happy. When clothes are stained and holey I toss 'em or turn them into rags. There are some outfits like that we put aside as play clothes. I show my DD the issue and explain that this "hole and that stain makes this outfit not appropriate for school or other 'going out in public' things. We can, however, keep it in the drawer to wear when we're working in the garden or getting messy."

I look at it this way, there are simply style I wouldn't be comfortable in or want to be seen in. ;) I don't expect my children to be any different. DS won't shop with me but he will give me a list of do's and don'ts. I stick to his list within my own comfort zone
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 2:57 PM on May. 11, 2010

• ohh i also did the whole throw away clothes while shes not home thing...she hasnt even noticed theyre missing!! welll, shes wondering where one of her leggings are, but i said i didnt know...they were soooooooo ugly..her dad got them for her..YUCK!! lol..they matched with absolutely NOTHING!!!!!!
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 2:57 PM on May. 11, 2010

• My 4 year old son has 3 Red Sox t-shirts. Two are almost identical, they are both red with a different number on the back. The other is the same but gray. That is all he will wear. He has a drawer full of clothes, but every single day he wears a Red Sox t shirt. People must think he only owns 2 shirts. I don't care, I let him. I think it is kind of cute. If we go somewhere nice, he'll wear a polo shirt.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 2:59 PM on May. 11, 2010

• Don't force your daughter to wear clothes that you like and she doesn't She is old enough to decide what type of clothing she wants to wear. She is coming into her own independence and should be allowed to express that. Especially through her clothing choices, as that is the best way for her to express herself. Now I can understand not wanting her to wear the stained, hole infested clothing. I really do, and I probably wouldn't want my child wearing them either. If it really means that much to you, you can throw them out and tell her to choose her new favorite outfits from the rest of the clothing. However, I suggest to let her choose for herself what she wants to do. You're saying "So she looks nicer". Is that because you're afraid of what other people will think? If so, let that go. It doesn't matter what they think. It matters that your daughter is comfortable and happy.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 3:09 PM on May. 11, 2010

• Alexis_06 has a smart idea. That might be worth a shot.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 3:10 PM on May. 11, 2010

• my youngest daughter also has two shirts that are identical. One is for her sister, and one is hers. What she does is wear it everyday! Today, she wore the clothes I prepared for her but, she still wore her favorite shirt underneath everything! I guess, I would have to throw out the clothes.
    LavenderRose10

Answer by LavenderRose10 at 3:15 PM on May. 11, 2010

• Well, I say throw away the holey, stained clothing and explain why those items can no longer be worn. And then let her pick from her remaining wardrobe what she wants to wear. I think it isn't very nice to make her wear leggings when she hates wearing them. In a month she might change her mind, but in the meantime she has her reason, however silly it may seem to a grown up. Maybe someone teased her about her skinny legs or something. If she is uncomfortable wearing something it must not make for a great day for her. Imagine someone making you wear a bikini if you felt heavy or something along those lines. Maybe you can cut a deal with her that she can choose her clothes for school and around the house but you can choose her clothes for church or family outings or something like that. I do think it is best though to let her choose for herself.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 4:11 PM on May. 11, 2010