? for sahm's..getting a job while LO is in pre-k....

My son is 2, but I am thinking a bit ahead. Once he hits pre-k I was thinking about maybe getting a PT job. I'm a sahm now and I feel blessed to be one, but once ds is in school, which will be what...only a few hours? I was thinking about getting a pt job to help participate financially. but what kind of jobs are good about strict schedules to match a child's schedule especially if it'll only be a few hours, and strictly taking the weekends off? SO works on saturdays so i'd have to be home (and pre-k's are closed on weekends...)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:48 PM on May. 11, 2010 in Money & Work

• Well i thought of doing that. I could not find anything that worked. But glad because it would have been a pain to worry about getting off work when my little one was sick or had no school.
    Anonymous

• If you find the answer, let me know! My daughter only goes for 3 hours a day. By the time I made it to work and clocked in, i'd only have about an hour and a half to work before leaving to get her picked up on time!
    Ctink8189

Answer by Ctink8189 at 2:50 PM on May. 11, 2010

• yes ladies...both very good points! I would also worry about the "what ifs"...if my son was sick or something, or if I HAD to stay longer at work for some reason and wouldnt be able to come get him or would be super late...and knowing my town, it would be hard to find a really flexible job in general. It's all retail jobs, restaraunt jobs, or office jobs.
    Anonymous

• If I had that option I would swoop up a job in this area that is looking for someone to do part-time clerical (sp?) work. Making copies, typing up forms, filing paperwork, etc. I really want to apply, but they ask for someone to work a few hours in the mornings and I have no one to watch the kids. I like doing those types of things, so it'd be perfect for me.

My suggestion is to talk to local businesses. Especially small local offices like law firms and tax offices. Let them know your strict schedule and that you're just wanting something part time to help them out. You may be surprised how many businesses would hire someone just for the small tasks.

Places to look .. Small and local businesses like medical clinics/centers, law offices, tax offices, and places of that nature. You could also seek employment at the city hall. They sometimes hire people just to do the filing for different departments.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 3:01 PM on May. 11, 2010

• Our pre-K was only 3 hours. So if you dropped him off at 9:00. Got there by 9:30 and had to leave by 11:30 to pick him up - that's only 2 hours. It really doesn't seem likely that someone would hire you for that small amount of time.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 3:19 PM on May. 11, 2010

• That would be a really tough find. Now thinking from an employers perspective, not sure if I would entertain someone with so many requirements. I ended up going to work FT and it stunk. Kids in day care, problems when kids were sick or hubby was travelling for his job. I realized I only saw my kids for two hours per day. That unfortunately lasted four years and then I actually quit when I started my home business. I wish I would have known about this back before I started working FT. I never would have gotten high blood pressure and never would have gained 40 pounds. All better now, weight lost, blood pressure down and making money for my family on my terms, not an employers.
    marywoz

Answer by marywoz at 3:40 PM on May. 11, 2010

• i did it but i work from home..i found a job while they wree home and ive been at it for years..and love it.. my youngest starts 3k in 3 monthand my oldest starts pre-k.. plus i just found out im preggo so im glad i have an established income so im not freaking that i have to save for another.. good luck
    swaney06

Answer by swaney06 at 3:43 PM on May. 11, 2010

• thanks ladies! wah would be awesome but i don't even know where to start
    Anonymous

• start here, find out if its for you click here to get an overview.

IraqiVetWife

Answer by IraqiVetWife at 4:53 PM on May. 11, 2010

• I was like you. When my twins started pre-k going 5 days a week from 930-330 I was so excited because I just knew I was going to have time for job. I WAS WRONG! We have four kids and there is always something going on, Doctors appointments, dentists visits, sick kid, class party. I just didnt have the time for a job
    kc932

Answer by kc932 at 5:38 PM on May. 11, 2010