Teaching my 6 year old to tie shoes

Do you have any suggestions on teaching them how to tie their shoes. For some reason I have no patience with this. We have tried off and on the last few months. I told him just try once or twice a day, that is it. But he gets frustrated and I don't think I am showing him how to do it very good and don't know how to. So any suggestions I would love!!!!

choco_mom

Asked by choco_mom at 2:58 PM on May. 11, 2010 in General Parenting

• I was a kid who didn't know how to tie my shoes until a neighbor showed me how at age 6. It was way easier than what my mom and teacher was teaching me. I still tie my shoes this way to this day...make 2 loops, cross them and tuck one loop in the hole and tighten. I'll try to find a diagram for you to see what I'm talking about. Also I've seen books with big laces so the kids can practice.
    benjamink

Answer by benjamink at 3:13 PM on May. 11, 2010

• http://www.fieggen.com/shoelace/twoloopknot.htm
    benjamink

Answer by benjamink at 3:23 PM on May. 11, 2010

• Make a 'shoelace box'...get an old shoe box and poke holes in the lid and lace up with a shoelace. They can pack the box around and practice tying it. My kids learned that way...or they'd practice on one of their dad's shoes...it was bigger and had longer laces so it made it easier.

There's also a book called 'The Shoelace Box'...my kids had that book and thats how I got the idea. My son made a box for my granddaughter last year. (and I loaned her his book!)
    auntietotty

Answer by auntietotty at 4:17 PM on May. 11, 2010

• Velcro. My son could not get the concept until age 9. He just turned 10 and still has problems with it.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 8:21 PM on May. 11, 2010