My 2 and a half year old will NOT use the potty.... help!

She's had her potty for about 6 months and she LOVES it - she'll sit on it and read and she'll talk about how peepees and poopoo's are supposed to go in the potty.
BUT - she won't use it.
I've even tried offering her chocolate to go on the potty!! (Please don't go crazy at me!)
Nothing works, even though she loves the potty she just won't use it.

I wouldn't mind but I have another baby due, and I REALLY want my daughter out of diapers by the time the baby arrives.... any help?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:00 PM on May. 11, 2010 in General Parenting

• Oh.. Mine too.. my son will sit on there and grunt on it and stand up and Nothin' ... I tell him we have to "hear" the pee or "see" the pee but nothing ever happens. We've tried stickers and suckers and M & M's and charts and just underpants .. nope, hasn't worked yet.. my husband got sick of him peeing "all over the house" when trying to underpants train or that I think could have worked but so far,.. nothing.. he's 2-1/2 also
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 3:04 PM on May. 11, 2010

• Take away her diapers completely. Buy her beautiful princess undies that she loves. Take her every 1/2 hour. She's not going to like the feel of pee pee running down her leg, she'll go on the potty. But you can NEVER go back to diapers once you start this (except at night). So do it when you have a good 3-4 days to just stay home and devote to this. It won't take more than 3 days until she's completely trained.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 3:06 PM on May. 11, 2010

• She's not ready. Let her lead and go with what SHE wants to do. Talk about it all the time, offer to take her and remind her throughout the day and I'm in the camp that its OK to offer bribes. Maybe it would help if you got rid of the diapers too. :) My ds didn't show ANY signs of readiness until he was 3 1/2, but it happened suddenly and was totally trained - night time and all in a week, once he decided to do it. DD was totally trained by 2 yrs 3 months but it took her a few months. I know you feel pressure b/c you've got a baby coming soon, but try to take that pressure off of you and your dd. It may cause her to regress. Plus its common for kids to regress when a new baby comes to the house anyway. I firmly believe that no amount of pushing will get a kid to use the toilet before they're ready. I prefer to think of it as potty learning, not potty training.
    Anonymous

• if shes not ready than shes just not ready....my cousin is 4 and just recently started goign in the potty....
    mommy492006

Answer by mommy492006 at 3:13 PM on May. 11, 2010

• I've been there too (including the 'want one potty trained before the new baby comes' feeling.) My personal experience after potty training three kids is that it's easier to wait until THEY are ready. Even if you take away the diapers, leave them bare bottomed, give them underpants, or take them to the bathroom every fifteen minutes, some kids are just not ready yet. If you want to give it your best shot, I recommend bare bottom training- just stick a dress on her and see how she does. With my kids, being bare made them focus on potty training in a way they just didn't do in underpants. Once they were having success for a few days with a bare bum we would introduce the undies. However if after a few days she is not having success or is getting whiny and resistant about it, I would follow her lead and take a break for a month or two before trying again. HTH a bit!
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 3:16 PM on May. 11, 2010

• she's not ready. wait till she is. My oldest son potty trained himself at 3 1/2 yrs and my 2nd son potty trained himself at 21mo. I didn't "train" them, they took the lead. This leads to a lot less frustration and "accidents"
    Anonymous

• My son was 15 months old when he started acting like he wanted to use the potty. But he has only been officially potty trained for about 3-4 months and he's almost 4... We went to the potty chair every 30 mins every day for months and months... nothing worked... Finally we gave up... and now he uses it w/ no issue... I have a 2 1/2 year old which couldn't care less about a potty... And we aren't pushing this time, just let him lead. I have another on the way too, so I understand what you're saying, but it's really better not to push...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 5:21 PM on May. 11, 2010

• I think she probably is ready... she just doesn't quite get what she's supposed to do or doesn't feel comfortable doing it yet. (Knowing that pee and poo are theoretically supposed to go there and actually being able to picture doing that, then telling her body to do that, are separate issues). Instead of having her sit there waiting for something to happen, put her in underwear and a shirt and wait for her to start having an accident (pay close attention, wait for the "oops!!" look on her face) and move her as quickly as you can to the potty. Over and over. Don't make a big deal of the accident, just remind her that's where pee/poop go, and reward her at first even if just a little trickle makes it in (the rest having landed on the floor). This method works wonders and quickly. If you do this, though, you have to get rid of the diapers or make them just a sleep thing, no exception (not even out of the house).
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 7:24 PM on May. 11, 2010

• I wanted to add, but I ran out of space... I just finished training my second daughter this way. She's 20 months. And my other daughter trained that early, too. I totally get the not interested thing (some kids are, some aren't), but I disagree with the not ready/absolutely-avoid-"pushing"-at-all-costs perspective. For us, persistence paid off. As I was flushing the toilet full of... well... lots of stuff... tonight, I felt very relieved that I was not going to be wiping that off a bottom (or that my daughter would not be sitting it it) for the next year... or even two...
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 7:28 PM on May. 11, 2010

• Never use food as a reward or punishment.

Try again in three months.

Answer by rkoloms at 9:12 PM on May. 11, 2010