Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

URGHHHHHH !!!! How can this happen?!

My husband had two kids from a previous marriage. They divorced after being married 3 months. He was ordered to pay 755 dollars a month for the two of them, which should have been sufficient because he only brings home about 900 every two weeks. Anyways, he got a raise. He got a one dollar raise an hour and his ex is taking him b ack to court because now she wants 900 a month now. Said that if he was making more money, she deserved a cut of it? Why is that? It's not like the childs needs went up because of it!! We already pay 755 a month plus have them on our insurance plus pay medical bills. But why does she think because my husband got a small raise that she should get more money? That's not right at all!

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 3:09 PM on May. 11, 2010 in Relationships

Answers (12)
  • Could be one of two reason: The children's needs really are more and she's feeling a strain. Or she's greedy. I have no idea which it is!

    Answer by Adelicious at 3:10 PM on May. 11, 2010

  • Check with the state laws...some states will say that he only has to pay a set percentage per month. She may not get anymore than what she is already getting. In Il, they only get 20% of take home pay per week and it goes up to 28% for 2 kids. It sounds like she is already getting more than what is normal.

    Answer by Jademom07 at 3:12 PM on May. 11, 2010

  • The thing is he has two children and he has to support them. That is all there is to it. Taking care of children's needs is very expensive and the costs keep rising. Maybe the better question is can you handle being married to someone who has such a big responsibility? You must have known when you married him that he paid child support.

    Answer by Anonymous at 3:14 PM on May. 11, 2010

  • Who let him know he go a raise???? I wouldn't have told her!
    And who has more custody of the kids?

    Answer by Anonymous at 3:15 PM on May. 11, 2010

  • fair or unfair, she has a legal right to have child support re-evaluated if he got a raise

    Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 3:20 PM on May. 11, 2010

  • Why did he tell her?

    Answer by mamaofficer at 3:20 PM on May. 11, 2010

  • Who let him know he go a raise???? I wouldn't have told her!

    Doesn't matter who told who.  By law he has to report any pay increase, etc to the state or he will get in trouble.  .

    OP, I know it's hard to be in a situation like this but before you know it, no more child support to pay.  Time flies!


    Answer by Anonymous at 3:22 PM on May. 11, 2010

  • sounds frustrating. he is already stepping up to the plate and she is nickle and diming him. It makes her look gready. She should be thankful..he is already paying alot.

    Answer by ria7 at 3:24 PM on May. 11, 2010

  • I just went through this and yes the custodial parent is entitled to a child support modification, in Georgia EVERY FOUR YEARS if she wants.
    My husbands CS payment doubled. In GA they also take the custodial parent's income in consideration - there is actually a Child Support Modification worksheet that you can probably download from you state .....
    Just the way it is.

    Answer by chefronswife at 3:28 PM on May. 11, 2010

  • Because cs is based on income. In FL she can review the case every 3 yrs and get a cost of living increase. They had 2 children during a 3 MONTH marriage?

    Answer by Anonymous at 3:31 PM on May. 11, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.