Would you tell your sister that she is getting way too big too soon in her pregnancy?

My sister is pregnant with her first and at 10 wks is already huge! The girl looks like she could be 7 mos. pregnant. I just had a baby and I know how big women get in their third trimester. It's not pretty, and for her, it's going to be excruciating if she keeps packing on the pounds. Do I tell her or keep it to myself? I do not want to be one of those people always giving advice.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:13 PM on May. 11, 2010 in Just for Fun

• I think this is one of those things you have to let her learn by herself. If SHE brings up the weight at all, mention to her what you went thru, but let her figure it out otherwise. If she brings it up then that opens the door for you to share your experiences and what you have learned. When I was pregnant I just felt like it wouldn't be hard to lose the weight, and it wasn't a big deal to gain more than the 25-30 lbs. Of course I now know that isn't true, but at the time anyone that told me otherwise would have offended and insulted me somewhat. I know you want to save her from having it any harder than she needs to, but there is only so much you can do, and if you offend her she may not come to you about other pregnancy things. And you can always be there to do a work out with her after she has the baby.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 3:46 PM on May. 11, 2010

• Is she getting fat, or just in her belly? If it's her belly, there is nothing you can do about it. I wouldn't say anything. I'm sure she's aware of her body.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 3:15 PM on May. 11, 2010

• EveryBODY is different :) With my 1st you couldnt even tell I was pregnant until I was 8 months.With my second I was already showing around 3-4 months.

ryanlynn

Answer by ryanlynn at 3:17 PM on May. 11, 2010

• leave the medical advice up to her doctor, just be her sister
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 3:18 PM on May. 11, 2010

• I think I'd have to keep my mouth shut. But that's just me. I gained 70 pounds with my 1st. I was "fat and happy". Yes, it blew chinks when I had to lose it all after the baby was born, but I was so hormonal during my PG that if anyone said anything to me about gaining too much, I would have just gone off on them!

Anonymous

• I'd keep it to yourself for sure. Her doctor will definitely let her know if her weight gain is unhealthy.
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 3:18 PM on May. 11, 2010

• LOL- blew chunks! Not Chinks!!
    Anonymous

• offer to go walking with her or shopping for new healthy recipes.

don't just call her fat, she is pregnant and will probably be very offended
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 3:19 PM on May. 11, 2010

• First off do you know she is putting on weight? or are you just thinking it because she looks bigger?
    I am 13 weeks and look 6 months and have lost 13lbs. Everyone is different. What do you want to do hurt her feelings.
    Anonymous

• Well if I were you I would keep it to myself. Why would you want to make her feel fat? You know how us women get, HORMONAL! She's gonna get offended.
    Anonymous