Why do people think that their beliefs are the only way?

After reading several derogatory posts and questions recently related to holidays and seeing how many ignorant and judgemental people their are I am pretty amused. I am also filled with sadness for the children of these biased women. I am a Jehovah's witness, don't celebrate any holidays and defy ANYONE to prove to me that I don't love my kids! Not really a question but I needed to see if anyone can explain this.

gfargas

Asked by gfargas at 3:13 PM on May. 11, 2010 in General Parenting

• Holidays are an extra I have had so many friends who were Jehovas wittnesses and I think celebrate or not either way this has nothing to do with your parenting.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 3:18 PM on May. 11, 2010

• I think people naturally like to be right. They like know things. People are raised by their parents who instill their beliefs upon their children. So people grow up learning that things are a certain way.

Only until they open their mind, break free of their nest will they begin to see the world for what it really is. See the things that make others unique. It takes an open minded person, and a strong person to accept others views even if they disagree. To be tolerant of others. To be understanding of how one became who they are today. To know that you're not any less of a person because your beliefs.

Some people are very close minded. Hard headed. Those people unfortunately for them... haven't had the I guess you could call it blessing, of seeing the bigger picture.
    Skepticchick

Answer by Skepticchick at 3:19 PM on May. 11, 2010

• I really don't know, I suppose everyone feels that the situation and circumstances they were brought up in are the correct ones, i try not to judge anyone, everyone should try to just get on with their own lives and do no harm to others and if they have nothing nice to say say nothing. Hope this may help you understand why have a nice day.
    68tl

Answer by 68tl at 3:22 PM on May. 11, 2010

• Oh dear! What a crappy first answer !! I'm embarrassed for her! I was actually hoping to see a big "JUST KIDDING" at the bottom of it.

VeronicaLee

Answer by VeronicaLee at 3:22 PM on May. 11, 2010

• Purpurlbutterfly is pathetic. I feel bad for your kids! You know why, because they have a mother that is not understanding and is intolerant!

So what's worse?

Growing up with a family that happens to not celebrate holidays, they grow up with this being the norm so they aren't illy affected.

OR

Growing up with a mother who is intolerant of others beliefs, talks poorly of others, and is clearly not understanding.
    Skepticchick

Answer by Skepticchick at 3:23 PM on May. 11, 2010

• Oh my goodness...Purpul that really is awful of you to say. Have you ever read about WHY Jehovah Witnesses don't celebrate holidays? It has absolutley nothing to do with not wanting to spend money. And what does home schooling have to do with being a JW?
    I wish people would do a better job at respecting other peoples beliefs. You don't have to agree with them, just give people the courtesy and benefit of respect.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 3:23 PM on May. 11, 2010

• @ Purpulbutterfly, what an amazing life your children must have that the only joy they have in life it commercial crap you have to buy them. My kids have no wants, have an amazing life, and are incredibly happy. You must be a very small minded person to think that any mom would be involved in a religion because they are cheap.
    gfargas

Answer by gfargas at 3:24 PM on May. 11, 2010

• Purpul butterfly is more like a BLACK TAR butterfly. She should totally change her name.
    Skepticchick

Answer by Skepticchick at 3:27 PM on May. 11, 2010

• Their ways are the best, for them. WHo cares?
    Anonymous

• I would flag Purpul for personal attack (did she misspell PURPLE?) BUT- I'd rather the ignorant answer remain so every one can see what kind of person she is.

Anonymous