Tell me about your compost pile!!!!

What do you use to hold your compost pile? Where is it located? What do you put in it? What DON"T you put in it? How long have you had it? How long do you wait until you can plant in your compost after you've distributed it where you want it????
Anything that would helpful for a starting fellow composter! lol

CAGirl4

Asked by CAGirl4 at 3:33 PM on May. 11, 2010 in Home & Garden

• It isn't held by anything. I have a fairly large back yard and it goes in one of the back corners against the chainlink fence. What goes in it, leaves, grass clippings, kitchen waste - veggies, egg shells, tea bags, coffee grounds/filters. No meats or bones since I have 2 basset hounds that won't let it stay there. It gets turned once a year and when I have something that needs to go in the ground, but I don't know where to put it yet...I plant it back there because, after 10 yrs, it is extremely fertile.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 6:28 PM on May. 11, 2010

• We use a compost bin & keep it next to our front patio for easy access. We've had the bin for about 2 years now. I put kitchen veggie/fruit waste (except citrus rinds, they take forever to compost), stale bread, egg shells, coffee grinds & filters, tea bags/leaves, weeds (that have not gone to seed!), grass trimmings, garden trimmings, dry leaves and occassionally shredded black & white newspapers when I don't have enough other brown matter. I never put in meat or bones b/c they attract rodents & other nasties. I also never put in anything that is moldy b/c there's no guarantee the compost will get hot enough to kill it before I use it. I aerate the bin every time I add something to it & turn the whole pile once per week. I have finished, usuable compost about every 3 weeks or so. Typically I just work it right into the garden soil wherever it's needed. There is no need to wait before planting in well-cooked & finished compost
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 11:03 PM on May. 11, 2010