Anyone else's child's sleeping pattern get messed up after being sick?

My son has had a form of hand foot mouth virus and has been sick since friday. He is feeling much better already but his sleep schedule is all messed up now. He used to take one nap a day maybe two and then bedtime was between 8-9. Well now if we even mention bedtime he freaks out and starts screaming and throwing him self backwards. I don't know to do about this? We let him cry it out, but I am afraid its going to hurt his throat with the blisters being here still. Also since he has been sick he has tried to climb out of his bed. He hasn't mastered it yet though but gets really close. Is it the bed? My child? Me? what? I don't know how to help him know bedtime is okay. He is 16 months old

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:39 PM on May. 11, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• my 1 yr just got over being sick for about a month,some high fever virus and ear infections.and of course the amount of meds they had him on was making him sleep alot during the day.so his sleeping routine gets messsed up every time he gets sick.he's been better now for about 2 weeks,and we r still working on changing his schedule around,and working on building up his appetite again too.his doc says its pretty normal.i have never let my kids cry it out,but i do get up and hold him a little then put him back to bed.it also helps to have his feeding pattern back to normal.i know i spoil my babies,i do whatever it takes to soothe them back to sleep,music helps my little man.but it does take awhile for them to get over sickness,even if theres no symptoms.hang in there momma,let him know u understand how he feels.best of luck...
    vkm1130

Answer by vkm1130 at 6:12 PM on May. 11, 2010

• Yeah, we often let our toddler co-sleep when she's sick, and then when she's all better we have to do a quick "refresher course" in sleep training.
    mogencreative

Answer by mogencreative at 8:25 PM on May. 11, 2010

• Mine has had a cold for about a week and the only thing different for us is the amount of tantrums. I would say once he is feeling better I would try to go back to your old routine. Kids usually adjust quickly. The bed issue is something completely different though. when my LO tried climbing out of her bed we slicked it down with a very thin layer of Vaseline and she couldn't get a good grip and fell back into her bed. This went on for a few days and she hasn't tried to climb out of her bed in about 6 mos or more. It may sound ridiculous but worked like magic. I wish you luck.
    coala

Answer by coala at 9:41 PM on May. 11, 2010