Four year old pronounciation?

My four year old still doesn't say t, r, l, and some other sounds properly. When should I be worried that she has a speech impediment? She has some cousins that are 10+ that still talk that way, so there is a chance she won't grow out of it.

Laura2U

Asked by Laura2U at 3:46 PM on May. 11, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Children who have a speech impediment like the one you describe often struggle learning how to read because they reproduce sounds incorrectly. Have your daughter evaluated by a licensed and ASHA certified speech therapist who specializes in working with children. The sooner she gets help the better chance she has of having this corrected in a timely way. Many hospitals have out-patient clinics and have speech therapists available to help.

teacher-author

Answer by teacher-author at 9:34 AM on May. 12, 2010

• I started correcting my kids early on with those letters. I think it's normal for kids, but mine are 2 1/2 & 4 now and hardly and mistakes anymore. It's all about actually paying attention and correcting the child. Don't accept "dink" because it's cute, make them say "drink"
    Anonymous

• Well, as a mom with a child with speech problems, you might want to talk to your child's pediatrician about it. My daughter is 3 and she needs speech therapy, but we can't afford it right now, and since she's not below average IQ (she's actually above average, which is actually to her disadvantage), we can't get state help with it. Hers has to do with having had too much fluid in her ears when she was first learning speech, and that made it sound like everyone was talking underwater. It's made it hard for her, but she's gradually getting better. She still needs a lot of work, though, and could really use the therapy.
    Anonymous

• If you're concerned about that you should consult your doctor. Sometimes a simple procedure like removing ones adnoids/tonsils can help a speech impediment. I had one when I was younger. S and TH were the hardest for me. We corrected my problem when I was in ELEM. so it's GREAT that you're noticing now and working on resolving it before your little one tries to read with that.
    Skepticchick

Answer by Skepticchick at 3:58 PM on May. 11, 2010

• Practice Practice Practice.. My son just turned 4 a week ago and used to stutter really bad. One day I was worried more then usual. I started researching stuttering online and got many helpful websites as well as some pointers. A few days later we were at my friend's office, she wispored in my ear that my son had not stuttered since we had arrived. I started to listen to him just to see and sure enough, he was not. He would even My work payed off.I was correcting him and maked him slow down when stuttering. I made sure that I wasn't mean b/c I was afraid that if he got upset he would only stutter worse. I would say to you to take some time out each day and work with those words that have those letter. Make it fun and point out when she says things correctly. Correct her but don't embrass her. Some kids speech get worst when nervous. I would have my son look at my mouth to see and hear how the word was pronounced. Good Luck!
    Peacefully

Answer by Peacefully at 4:16 PM on May. 11, 2010

• Now my son tells me "see momma I didn't stutter!"
    Peacefully

Answer by Peacefully at 4:17 PM on May. 11, 2010

• To the second anon poster: what classifies your daughter as having an impediment, if you don't mind me asking? Does it sound like she's talking underwater, like what she hears? Or does she have a hard time pronouncing sounds?

Laura2U

Answer by Laura2U at 4:18 PM on May. 11, 2010

• Laura, I would talk to my ped. Also, our county does free development screenings regardless of income. You might look into that.
    proud2Bmomma

Answer by proud2Bmomma at 6:07 PM on May. 11, 2010

• some schools have speech therapy.. when i was younger i had trouble with pronouncing words sometimes i still do but i have NF and thats part of the traits in nf... if i was you i would correct your son in better words just help him and teach him vand if that does not work maybe talk you your childs dr on what to do
    elias1mamma22

Answer by elias1mamma22 at 9:42 PM on May. 11, 2010