15 month old doesn't take well to sippy cup. Advice?

Today I decided to throw away all baby bottles, which was something I should have done a long time ago. The reason I didn't act sooner is because whenever my son would cry, anc cry, my husband and I would break down and give him the bottle. I tried getting him to use the sippy cup for quite a while, but he just doesn't want to take it. On top of that, even when he was using a bottle, her refused to drink it any other way except on his back. I just found out I am pregnant with the second baby, and I really don't want to deal with a child that wants to be babied like an infant. How did you all make the transition from bottle to sippy cup smooth? How long did it take?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:47 PM on May. 11, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• there are sippy cups that have the soft nipples to make the transition easier. its supposed to mimic a bottle's nipple. i just gave it to my daughter, she took to it easily. the hard nipple ones it took her some getting used to on how to drink from it, but she never refused it. good luck!
    lilianasmom1116

Answer by lilianasmom1116 at 3:50 PM on May. 11, 2010

• Get the soft nipple sippy cup.

ALSO....

Take your little one with you to pick out the cup. This should him to personally attach himself to the cup rather than the bottle. Big boy, big boy cup.

Good luck
    Skepticchick

Answer by Skepticchick at 3:53 PM on May. 11, 2010

• offer diff kinds of sippy cups. My son preferred a hard top sippy cup. You could also try cups that use a straw? The best way to transition is stand firm and don't give in to the idea of the bottle anymore. Out of site out of mind idea. It may take a few days but if your lil one is thirsty she will drink out of whatever is available.
    Anonymous

• This the OP. I bought him the ones with the plastic nipples, he hates the ones with the hard top. So far it's going as I expected, which is not great. I put some milk in the sippy cup, but he wanted to lay on his back, so when I tried to position him back up to drink it the "normal" way, he continued to refuse. So I just took the sippy cup away and put him down for his nap. I hope he won't loose a lot of weight. Skeptichick, I would take him to get his own cup if he could at least point to what he wanted or would talk. Unfortunately, that is something he doesn't yet do. That's another thing I'm trying to fix...

Anonymous

• Wait, do you not want him to have the sippy on his back? I say, if he likes it that way then let him have it. I don't really see any harm in it, maybe I am overlooking something? He's still young, I would think as he grows and becomes more and more active he won't have the time to stop what he is doing and laydown for a drink of milk so I am sure he will outgrow this habit soon. He is just barely a toddler, and while I agree you don't want to baby him now and then have an infant on your hands in a few months, but also look at this as your last few months where he is your main focus and shower him with a little extra love and attention. If he is like most little boys it won't be long before you can't get him to stand still long enough to give him a good cuddle. Good luck Mama!
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 4:51 PM on May. 11, 2010

• Maybe it's just me, but why not a little incentive? Like 25% chocolate milk to 75% white milk? Bash away, how horrible of me to give a child chocolate milk to make him enjoy a new sippy cup....

Otherwise, how about the cups with the straws instead? They are hard to hand wash, but a dishwasher would do the trick (speaking from personal experience...I don't have a dishwasher...I AM the dishwasher! LOL!)
    MamaRoberts

Answer by MamaRoberts at 6:30 PM on May. 11, 2010

• Give him 3-4 days. I did the same thing with my daughter. In four days, it was like bottles never existed. You just have to stick it out for a few days.
    lvpenguino

Answer by lvpenguino at 7:41 PM on May. 11, 2010

• I started introducing the sippy between 5-7 months so there wasn't an issue "transitioning". One child weaned herself off the bottle at 9 months, took her formula out of a sippy til she turned 1, then her milk. It wasn't hard to get them off the bottle shortly after a year. Expect a setback when the new baby comes though if you use bottles. Also, who cares if he only wants to lay down to drink? It's what he's used to! Let him lay down, if you don't want to "baby him" then don't hold him, just lay him down or let him go lay down himself to drink. No harm in him laying down to drink.
    Anonymous

• My son would only take the straw cups. He's 13 months and thats all he drinks out of now.
    Nesa_Z

Answer by Nesa_Z at 3:52 PM on May. 12, 2010