Quitting Smoking- RIGHT NOW

I just smoked my last cig and I swear I am not going to buy ANYMORE if it kills me!! Anyone have any tips on how to get me through this? It's going to be rough!

For the record, i'd only like to hear from people who have quit or have attempted to quit smoking. Not stuck up women who have never smoked in their life and who are only going to judge. Thanks

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:12 PM on May. 11, 2010 in Health

• Congrats on quiting... I have never smoked but am not stuck up lol and im happy that you are stopping. I lost my mother to lung cancer 2 years ago. I wish she would have had the strength to stop before it took a tole on her health... good luck

laciD

Answer by laciD at 4:20 PM on May. 11, 2010

• A friend of mine quit by taking an empty cig box and putting a picture of her kids in the front behind the clear wrap. Inside the box she kept gumballs. When she wanted a cig she would reach for the box see why she was quitting and have gum instead. It was still hard but she made it. Another friend of mines husband would every time he would go to buy cigs instead he would take that 4 dollars and put it in a bank. By the time he quit having urges to go buy some they had enough money to go to Disney World when they visited family in Florida.

Congrats on quitting. I'm not ready t quit yet but when I am I hope I have good support and advice to.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 4:29 PM on May. 11, 2010

• Wow the bubble game idea is awesome!! Thanks for sharing that! And thanks to laci on the support.. I was afraid i'd immediately get bashed the second I posted this
    Ctink8189

Answer by Ctink8189 at 4:34 PM on May. 11, 2010

• I think chewing gum really helps. And staying away from cigarettes. I quit for about a year and a half and when I smoked again it was after having my in-laws and my Dad at my house for 4 days and all three of them smoked. I got to the point I felt like all I did those days was sit there and watch them smoking and it made me want it so bad, so avoid being around smoking if you can. And don't ever pick it back up, because then you just have to go thru it all over again. Everyday you quit you are one day further away from that hardest first day, and one day closer to that day when you don't crave it at all anymore. I heard it said of cigarettes that one is too many and a thousand is not enough- meaning if you start with 1 you end up keeping going.

Good luck to you! I just started cutting back again and plan to quit by summer. Mother's Day made me think of my mother and daughter and wanting to be healthy for them both.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 4:35 PM on May. 11, 2010

• Try finding something that will occupy your hands such as a craft or something when you get the urge. Gum and suckers seem to help too. When my mother quit smoking 8 yrs ago she would jump on the tredmill for 10-15 minutes (about how long it would take to smoke a cig) everytime she got the urge to smoke and drank tons of water. I tried this out when I tried quiting a few years ago and it really helped stop that urge because for some reason after I work out I really could care less about a smoke, and not only that, it helps keep your weight undercontrol.
    saysha100687

Answer by saysha100687 at 4:47 PM on May. 11, 2010

• the day i found out i was pregnant i quit (shes 3). I had to quit while living with smokers (mom, dh).. it sucked but i did it, i couldnt imagine smoking around my child.. so i would say keep them in mind. try to keep your hands busy, they say smoking is a hand to mouth addiction as well.. so learn to do something with your hands, ever crocheted? (just try not to stress over learning something new haha! that wont help!)
    Get some SUGAR FREE gum (dont want to gain 100lbs from not smoking!) My DH stopped smoking a few months after dd was born (Thank God!) & he chewed on straws alot...

Best of Luck to you! I feel I was super lucky since my body was telling me not to smoke (I noticed BEFORE I knew i was pregnant just smoking a few cigs a day id feel like i smoked 3 packs & didnt understand why)
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 6:56 PM on May. 11, 2010

• Good for you!  Whenever I got a craving for a cigarettte, I chewed mint gum.  It did work for me.  Good Luck!

beeky

Answer by beeky at 7:46 PM on May. 11, 2010

• congrats! i plan to try to quit as soon as i am done with my big test at school tommorrow.....wish me luck! but the only thing that helped me to quit before, honestly, i got pregnant and the ciggarrettes made me puke everytime i even tried to smoke....idk how i am gonna do this time but i am determined to quit this time and stick to it!
    moncrief_tara

Answer by moncrief_tara at 10:32 PM on May. 11, 2010

• I did it cold turkey on Jan 1st. It was hard, but I did it. Now, 5 months later, I barely think about it and I AM SO MUCH HAPPIER. I wish you the very best of luck.
    BitchCraft

Answer by BitchCraft at 10:44 PM on May. 11, 2010

• mama I quit cold turkey 2.5 years ago. I smoked 2-3 packs aday for almost 20 years. The way to win the battle is your mind. Do not let the craveing make you think one wont hurt or that you can just cut down! Drink water , breath deeply , but most of all GUT IT OUT !!! I wont lie the first 24 will suck balls then the next 3 days will be a bit less hard and each day it will be easier after that. I also want to say that every time I tried to use gum or patches or pills I went back. When I went cold turkey and felt the withdrawl It made me determined to never feel that again. Again Mama YOU MIND IS your best weapon YOU can do it . You are bigger than that lil death stick. Ok end of sermon now Go fight your demon.

chica1965

Answer by chica1965 at 11:40 PM on May. 11, 2010