What would you do if your stepchild punched your 2 month old baby out of anger?

My husband has an 8 year old son who visits every weekened. He was super excited about the baby coming and would call everynight and tell me to rub my stomach and tell the baby it was him. HOWEVER, last week, my stepson got mad because I said we werent' going to Chuckie Cheese because I was exhausted. (Breastfeeding and having a very hard time with it, so I have to feed for almost 2 hours at a time) and my husband was working. I layed the baby down on the blanket in the floor and got up to get his swaddle blanket and when I turned around, my stepson punched my 2 month old in the stomach!!! I freaked out. I called 911 for an ambulence. My baby is okay. Just minor bruising, but I told my DH that he had to go stay in a hotel to see his son and that his son wasn't ever allowed around my child. My SS said that he punched him trying to kill him so that we could start going places again! Counceling isn't an option because of his mom.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:31 PM on May. 11, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I would have hit him back...the hell you mess with my baby!
    Anonymous

• Why can't his dad get him to counseling?
    I'm sorry it happened, and glad your baby is fine. You really can't keep SS away forever, though.
    Anonymous

• I'm a little confused about why counseling isn't an option because of the mother.. Doesn't the father have a say?
    But I would do everything I could to protech my child.. If that means keeping this child away from my baby, so be it..
    Mad_Hexer

Answer by Mad_Hexer at 4:33 PM on May. 11, 2010

• OP HERE The mother has full custody and she said that he did nothing wrong. That eveyr child has jealousy issues and that I'm lucky he didn't kill my child. That whole family is messed up. And I may not can keep him gone forever, but he won't come back until he's trustworthy again. I am just shocked that it happened. I don't know what to do. It's causing major problems between my husabnd and I .
    Anonymous

• Wow.. I feel for you, but what can you do? What does your husband think about all this?
    Mad_Hexer

Answer by Mad_Hexer at 4:36 PM on May. 11, 2010

• At the age of EIGHT, your stepson has some SERIOUS misplaced anger issues. He NEEDS counseling and an outlet for his frustrations (that doesn't include your infant child!)...PERIOD! If your husband doesn't take control, then you are going to have to step up, and call a good child psychologist...or be left dealing with an injured (or worse) child!!!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 4:38 PM on May. 11, 2010

• Wow! I think you did the right thing by having the baby checked out right away and reporting this to the authorities. The fact that his mom said you were "lucky" that her son didn't kill you son... well... that is VERY scary! There is NO way that I would let that child near my baby!!

VeronicaLee

Answer by VeronicaLee at 4:45 PM on May. 11, 2010

• "but he won't come back until he's trustworthy again."

I don't know if I could ever really "trust" him again after doing that right in front of you!! I could only imagine what horrible things he would do behind your back!!
    VeronicaLee

Answer by VeronicaLee at 4:47 PM on May. 11, 2010

• The boy needs counseling. He admitted to wanting to kill an infant. Any way, it's not right for you to try and come between your husband and his child. I'm willing to bet if you made the boy feel more a part of the family he wouldn't be so resentful.

Also, a side note on the BFing, it is super normal for a BF baby to nurse every 1.5 to 2 hours. I'm BFing my 3rd baby and all 3 had a cluster feeding period in the day when they nursed every hour and then at night they nurser every 2.5 hours.

As for protecting your baby, you just simply don't ever leave this boy alone with your baby. That's not so hard to do since he visits on weekends. I have a 2 yr old that is super jealous of his 5 month old sister and does mean things to her not realizing he can hurt her, so he just simply is never left alone with the baby. I hold the baby a lot. I put her in a swing locked behind a child gate if I have to set her down.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 4:47 PM on May. 11, 2010

• The mother has full physical custody? Does your husband have a visitation arrangement? You can go back to court to change the child custody agreement to include counseling but this leaves you open too, she may ask for more child support. She is correct in saying that every child has jealousy issues but how he showed his jealousy is NOT okay! You can't just block him out of your lives, he is your ss & your hubby has a right to see him. Sit ss down & talk to him about why what he did was wrong. @ 8 he doesn't really grasp the whole concept on death, he just knows that if the baby wasn't around that he could do what he wants & get more attention. Don't leave them alone together but encourage him to get to know the baby, the more he likes it the less he'll try to hurt it. Get him a boy doll to play w/ so he can "help" you feed the baby & change it & love it w/out risking injury to your little one. If his fam's messed up then you
    Nyx7

Answer by Nyx7 at 4:52 PM on May. 11, 2010