I could see this coming:

My BIL and SIL have 5 children. 7, 5, 4, 3, 20mo. The younger 4 are girls, and girls they have babied and pampered since day one. Any little flinch of their eyes, snap of a finger, and Mommy or Daddy come running.

Anyway, they talk "baby-talk" to them still. Their "names" are "Brayd", "Har-har", "Scar-scar", "Tadie-Mae", and "Zazzy."

SIL's family are "Mimi", "Mai-mai", "Auntie Mar", "Papa", "Nana", and the girls have since been calling me "Bay-bay." Which, has driven me absolutely bonkers since I was really young, and they call DH "Tiss." (Name is Chris)

Their vocabulary consists of repeated single-syllable words, and I feel awful that the 5 yo has to wait another year to start Kindergarten because she can't speak clearly.

The two older girls, 5yo and 4yo, get to do 3 hours of speech therapy twice a week.

Anyone else wish they could step in on someone else's parenting sometimes?

matobe

Asked by matobe at 4:57 PM on May. 11, 2010 in Just for Fun

• Ugh. I can't even stand when I hear strangers talk about themselves in the third person to their kids. That would drive me insane and I'd try not to spend too much time with them. If I were stuck with them, I'd make sure to start correcting them and tell my kids out loud in front of them that it's important to speak correctly so people can understand them.
    raybird1031

Answer by raybird1031 at 5:07 PM on May. 11, 2010

• I can't stand that baby talk stuff. From the day my son was born I said no baby talk. And i'm glad i did that. My husbands nephew is 3 my son is almost 2 and talks way better than him. He only know a few words, I have been watching him recently and it is so frustrating, btw if you could tell me what ahar and utah means. Please tell me. I can not understand this kid.
    mrsbean08

Answer by mrsbean08 at 5:19 PM on May. 11, 2010

• Well, you can only hear, "Top! Unta Tiss!" so many times from a 5 year old that you get driven out the front door and want to leave.

This is the same SIL that offered to babysit my DS full time for free...

Nah. Pass, thanks. I want my child to SPEAK to me. CLEARLY.
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 5:23 PM on May. 11, 2010

• YEP! I know a 4 yo that DESPERATLY needs speech therapy, but her Mom keeps saying "Oh, she'll grow out of it"

Oh no Mommy! Your child is NOT growing out of it, and Nobody can understand a word she says!

Typical sentence from my 4yo: "can I play a game?" Her child: "I ray aim?". One day, I tried for over an hour to get her to say “Play” and finally gave up!!

I used to baby sit her every day, but I just can't handle the family anymore. The speech issue was always irksome though! I don't understand those that refuse to get a child help when they clearly need it!!
    Anonymous