Why would parents tell their children

that they are getting an inheritance? It seems like it makes them feel entitled and like it is money they already have. If people get an inheritance I think it should be a surprise not something that is promised to them their whole adult life. Anyone have any experience with this?

My SO and his siblings have been told about their inheritance and they talk about it alot. They are now expecting that money...it bugs me sooooo bad!!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:59 PM on May. 11, 2010 in Just for Fun

• you jealous because you dont have one?
    hisblueeyes

Answer by hisblueeyes at 5:02 PM on May. 11, 2010

• I wouldnt tell them because I dont want them to pull a Menendez on me.. but seriously, its really up to the person giving the inheritance I guess. Just because a child knows they are getting it doesnt mean they will act/feel the way you say they might.
    Ziggy-Stardust

Answer by Ziggy-Stardust at 5:02 PM on May. 11, 2010

• I think it's tacky and brings out the worst in people.
    It might be kind of fun to play it like a test, to see which of the kids is a greedy brat.
    Anonymous

• Their mom recently -few months ago died and the dad is sooo kind. He took great care of his wife but she had been sick for years. he is only 58. When it came up that he may mee someone in the future SO said he cant cause mom said he cant meet someone and blow our inheritance and if he remarried she may get the money. I was like it is HIS money and he should be happy if he does meet someone. Also the kids plan what they will do with the money. It jsut bugs me..why count on something and now expect it when its not really there money...
    Anonymous

• I personally probally will not tell my kids. But then again I don't know. My dad (adoptive father) has told me before that he is glad if something ever happens to him he know we will all be okay and then told me how much we are getting from his life insurance. I thought about it right after he told me and that was it. I'm not waiting for him to die so I can get it. As a matter of fact when we do get it I will probably just put it into my son's savings account. Im just glad to know my brother will be okay.
    mrsbean08

Answer by mrsbean08 at 5:09 PM on May. 11, 2010

• The general rule in our family (both my husband and I have grandparents and parents who have worked hard for their money, and have saved quite a bit of it at this point int heir lives) is that if you earned it, it's yours to spend and enjoy as long as you live - - it is not "our" inheritance until that person is dead and gone, and then it is a seriously poor door prize for losing a loved one. So, while we know that, logically speaking, since we have talked finances with our parents and know the situation, we will most likely receive a chunk of change when they die - it's not something we discuss, and we certainly aren't looking forward to it, or making plans for it.
    TiffanyMarie80

Answer by TiffanyMarie80 at 5:11 PM on May. 11, 2010

• I doubt she is jealous. Bragging about money you get when someone dies is disgusting.
    wildflowers25

Answer by wildflowers25 at 5:28 PM on May. 11, 2010

• So their kids can better plan for the future.
    jus1jess

Answer by jus1jess at 5:41 PM on May. 11, 2010

• My dad has made my brothers and I aware of the fact that he has accounts that go straight to us in the event of his death. He tells us this for we NEED TO KNOW this. If he were to suddenly pass I need to know EVERYONE I need to contact to get ALL AFFAIRS in order. He has made sure we have contact names and numbers to people who handle his accounts.My MIL had life insurance. Her kids always KNEW this. When she did pass last year my DH and his siblings KNEW who to CONTACT, for their mom prepared them. It is important to be PREPARED, even for an inheritance I would imagine.

KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 6:10 PM on May. 11, 2010

• My MIL used to make a big deal bout how she needed to be able to leave something for her kids, there's 6 of them. I finally told my in-laws we didn't want it after they were gone and would very much prefer to watch them enjoy spending our share now. Just another black mark on my record with the sisters, two of which can't wait for their share of the "money".

My Grandmother died a couple of weeks before my Dad, and my mom told us that they had planned to split all of her money between the 3 of us kids but that since my dad died at the same time she was keeping the money to make sure she would have enough. I am happy that my mom is now taken care of and since it was money I never had I don't miss it.

emptynstr

Answer by emptynstr at 6:10 PM on May. 11, 2010