I told my kids today... (what is your opinion)

that the events in the Gulf may cause serious problems and kill off a lot of animals. (They are teens.) I came right out and said, "We may have killed our oceans." My son just said wow. He gets it. That means the end of life on earth.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:05 PM on May. 11, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• This spill isn;t even the WORST spill on record! Here, allow me to provide you with some history:
    *******

It's not done spewing yet. Every expert has said it definitely has the potential to be the biggest; more damaging spill ever recorded...that would make it the WORST.
    Anonymous

• A little morbid but they are gunna find out about all the things that could kill Earth and human race someday.
    Ziggy-Stardust

Answer by Ziggy-Stardust at 5:06 PM on May. 11, 2010

• It is NOT the end of life on Earth!!! LOL This spill isn;t even the WORST spill on record! Here, allow me to provide you with some history:

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/454782/the_worst_major_oil_spills_in_history.html

Did life on Earth end?!  Nope!

LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 5:08 PM on May. 11, 2010

• You do realize that there have been other oil spills... I think you might have over exaggerated a bit.

laciD

Answer by laciD at 5:11 PM on May. 11, 2010

• Just because other spills have happened, that doesn't mean this is a good thing.
    Drill, baby, drill, huh?
    Anonymous

• my boss has that bumper sticker Drill, baby, drill

Drilling is a good thing...accidental spills are bad! This will not end life on earth but it is bad!
    Anonymous

• Emo Emu is sad...
    Emo Emu Pictures, Images and Photos
    I think what you told your kids was rather harsh and not so true. I guess you feel pretty good about panicking your kids and making them stress over this, you must if you came hear to brag...
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 5:18 PM on May. 11, 2010

• This is not the first, nor the worst oil spill. There is oil that seeps from the ocean floor quite naturally, and in not teensy amounts, either. Marine life lives on very nicely in those areas. My opinion is that you are over-reacting and jumping to conclusions.

google oil seeps, oil seepage, there is a lot of info out there about it.
    29again

Answer by 29again at 5:20 PM on May. 11, 2010

• OP: You people don't read or understand. This is not a spill. This is a high pressure LEAK from a MAJOR oil deposit, 5000 feet under the water, that THEY cannot contain. If the delicate ecosystem cannot be protected it will kill off major sources of food for larger marine life which will in turn kill off marine animals. It is also releasing methane caltrate, which makes this matter in the water flammable and EXPLOSIVE.
    Anonymous

• OP: What I was asking for was if you thought it was wrong to tell my kids the truth of the depth of this disaster. I don't think so. My friend thinks that I shouldn't tell my kids about serious things like this.
    Anonymous