What is the most useful foreign language to learn?

I would like my children to learn a foreign language at some point. I always thought it was best to do Spanish, but I have a friend who is half Japanese and she taught them how to count in Japanese yesterday. Now I'm wondering if maybe Japanese would be better. Although it seems a lot more difficult and has an entirely different writing system. I think Spanish is more common but my husband has gone to Japan several times for work and never to a Spanish speaking country, which makes me think that for future careers Japanese may be more useful. Either way I'm not going to be much help, I took French when I was in school, and I love the language but I've never had any opportunity to use it other than a trip I took to Paris. I don't think I would do any other languages though because I know people who can help with Spanish and Japanese.

mybella81

Asked by mybella81 at 5:08 PM on May. 11, 2010 in Just for Fun

• Depends where you are. It would be next to useless for my kids to learn Spanish. They are, however, in a french immersion school. Canada has two official languages and my kids will be fluent in both. No matter what you choose, make sure they learn a second language, it makes it easier to learn third, fourth, etc languages. And get started as soon as you can, the earlier the better while their brains are still flexible little sponges.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 5:24 PM on May. 11, 2010

• Knowing any foriegn language is useful and makes you smarter. Which one is more useful really depends on where you live or your plans for life. Can always learn more than one.
    Ziggy-Stardust

Answer by Ziggy-Stardust at 5:12 PM on May. 11, 2010

• Spanish. I hardly see job adds that want you to speak japanese. Unless for sure your children will be traveling to Japan alot, Most people in the US speak spanish.
    BrittanyD07

Answer by BrittanyD07 at 5:14 PM on May. 11, 2010

• I would say spanish just for the fact that most jobs these days want you to be able to speak it.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 5:15 PM on May. 11, 2010

• Chinese or Spanish may end up being most useful, depending on what they decide to do later in life. Giving them a start at any language is better than none at all, since learning a second language makes a 3rd, 4th or 5th easier.
    raybird1031

Answer by raybird1031 at 5:16 PM on May. 11, 2010

• I know a lot of people who speak more then one language I am learning to speak Japanese ,Russian and German it is going to help me create anime. Whatever language they want translators are always needed.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 5:16 PM on May. 11, 2010

• spanish

Answer by older at 5:17 PM on May. 11, 2010