What's going on with my son??? HELP!

My son will be 2 on the 29th. He's always been a pretty good sleeper, but lately at nap time he only sleeps for 40-60 mins. He used to sleep for at least 2 hours. I'm exhausted and due with our second child in 11 days...as we all pregnant (and former) pregnant ladies remember, I can't get comfortable enough sleep very much at night and normally count on our daytime nap to catch up. He does not seem to have any problems at night, does not seem to be teething....what the heck is going on? Have you experienced anything similar, if so what was the outcome? Do you think he senses the arrival of the baby?
Sorry if I was rambling a bit...sleepy!

Julians_Momma

Asked by Julians_Momma at 5:19 PM on May. 11, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• maybe he just doesn't need as much sleep as he used to.sounds like a normal amout to nap to me.
    TMJ121099

Answer by TMJ121099 at 5:27 PM on May. 11, 2010

• Yeah, unfortunately the naps seem to get shorter & shorter the older they get. He may not need one as much anymore (of course, b/c you need him to so badly!). Is there any way you could just have downtime & maybe pick out a movie for him to watch & you both lay in your bed so you can try to get some rest (it may not be full on sleep, but I'm pretty sure you'll take what you can get).
    MamaBloom777

Answer by MamaBloom777 at 5:49 PM on May. 11, 2010

• It's rough, but it does sound like nap time is going to slowly start coming to an end. If that is the case there isn't much you can do, their little bodies know what they need and if they don't need they don't sleep.
    luckysevenwow

Answer by luckysevenwow at 6:14 PM on May. 11, 2010

• I agree with the others that he's probably outgrowing his nap. You can try putting him down a little bit later and see if that helps. Just be careful about putting him down too late. He may take a longer nap but bedtime will be tougher.
    momofryan07

Answer by momofryan07 at 9:42 PM on May. 11, 2010

• try cutting his sugar intake, drinking a lot of juice and sugary foods can keep them up, and make sure he gets at least an hour of active play outside, it will help to wear him down a little and its healthy for them.
    Rebecca25

Answer by Rebecca25 at 12:53 PM on May. 14, 2010