my son (7) has temper tamtrums and throws and breaks things, any suggestions on correcting this?

shashax3

Asked by shashax3 at 5:26 PM on May. 11, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Ignore the bad behavior, and only praise good behavior. I think... he is just trying to get attention from you either possitive or negattive will do.
    psychobilly_mom

Answer by psychobilly_mom at 1:57 AM on May. 12, 2010

• just tell him if he keeps throwing his toys and they break, he isn't going to be getting any new one. because toys cost alot of money. that worked with my nephew and his mom only told him once.
    incarnita

Answer by incarnita at 12:19 PM on May. 12, 2010

• Every single time he throws something take it away for a week. Put it up high so he can't reach it but so he can see it and its a constant reminder that he messed up. If he throws everything he owns then oh well he's outta luck for a week. I did this with my son and three weeks later he was broken of it. I said "If you throw it, you lose it." He even threw his pillow and after one night of sleeping without a pillow he was done. Don't ignore it. Trust me that is not going to make anything better at all.
    Anonymous

• Have him evaluated to see if there is an underlying condition that is causing the angry outbursts. I also agree with ignoring the bad behavior, to a point. You can also make him pay for any broken items or give away a prized posession. My son went through a phase of angry outburst because having to deal with issues with his deadbeat father. He had to pay for or work off his destruction. I also had him in counseling to help him learn constructive ways to deal with his anger and emotions. It really helped. He was 5-7 years old when all this happened.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 8:43 PM on May. 12, 2010

• Thanks for all your answers, this only happens once every few months or so, i am thinking he will get over it as he matures, i am making him pay for what he brakes by selling his more expensive toys he doesnt like it but i think it might be working..thanks for the answers and keep them coming cause now my younger one is doing the same.....aawwwww
    shashax3

Answer by shashax3 at 12:09 AM on May. 29, 2010