Help, my son keeps holding it in.

Hi, my son is soon to be 3 on May 24th and i've tried potty training but unfortunately it's not something he is interested in. We've been to the doctor because he keeps holding his poo in, so much it comes out the other end sometimes. Anyone ever go thru this? Any advise. We've tried mineral oil and suppositories....nothing seems to help him release his bowels.

alleyaces

Asked by alleyaces at 5:28 PM on May. 11, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Look up encomprosis,, DS has been doing the same thing,,, I aske the same question earlier and a mom directed me there! I found lots of help!! Good luck momma,, I know how awful this is!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 6:01 PM on May. 11, 2010

• some kids hold their poop.. My son did around the same age.. He couldn't go then when he did it hurt and he was scared to go on the toilet so he held it in after that... My doc said that some children just go through this...I must warn you it takes A LONG time to get them back on track! My son was on miralax for A YEAR...it makes it soft so they really can't hold it! after so long of it not hurting them and you there to tell them it is ok he will get through it... My son is 5 know and still doesn't like to go at all.. I have to remind him every couple days to go because he just doesn't want to... I would deff put him on miralax which you can get over the counter know, when I had it for him it was by the doctor.... it is going to ake a long time to get him back to being ok with pooping so be prepared for a long road ahead! gl
    randilinn

Answer by randilinn at 8:36 PM on May. 11, 2010

• Read this http://www.rogerknapp.com/medical/pottytrainingrefusals.htm We are doing this with our almost 5 y/o & it is working with him!
    usmom3

Answer by usmom3 at 10:49 PM on May. 11, 2010

• My daughter did this as well. This was because she felt rushed and stressed... Sit with him while he is in the potty, and help him relax ... dont rush him. Or maybe he is scared of falling into the toilet , hold him and reassure him he is fine... or maybe he is just not ready to be potty-trained... Put him back on Pull-ups for one more week and then try again...
    psychobilly_mom

Answer by psychobilly_mom at 1:56 AM on May. 12, 2010