What did you do to get through your contractions?

I'm due with my second son in 11 days and am hoping to try to stay away from any pain meds. I had a horribly long labor with my first son and did end up getting an epidural after over 24 hours of hard labor. I did a lot of breathing and wanted it to be totally quiet during mine, but wanted to hear other successful women s ideas. In no way am I anti-epidural, I only want to try to exceed all other options prior to opting to get one.
I did have music, candles and the dark helped relax me. I am open to all of your ideas, so please feel free to share with me.
My husband and I do have a doula to assist us as well this time.

Julians_Momma

Asked by Julians_Momma at 5:32 PM on May. 11, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I just kept telling myself "I can do this", "this isn't that bad", and "women have been doing this naturally for 100's of years and so can I!" I guess it worked... cuz it wasn't that bad! I got up to 8cm no problem and never even whimpered!
    Anonymous

• sorry... 1,000's not 100's lol
    Anonymous

• I bounced on an exercise ball while laying my head on my recliner, closed my eyes, and hummed! It worked rather well. But when I got to the hospital, they made me get in the bed hooked up to the monitors. They said I had to stay still so the monitors wouldn't be disrupted. It was then that I lost ALL my coping skills and started begging for the epidural!!

VeronicaLee

Answer by VeronicaLee at 5:37 PM on May. 11, 2010

• Oh, I also labored in a tub for awhile and walked around a lot... I was in labor for 30 hours when they made me get an epi for a c-section cuz I wasn't progressing :( I stoped at 8 cm for 6 hours. anon :35 & :36
    Anonymous

• breathe....lol. one of my nurses was really awesome at helping me breathe through them when they were difficult.
    aly38914290

Answer by aly38914290 at 5:38 PM on May. 11, 2010

• Oh... and if I had to do over, I would have insisted on taking my ball and insisted that the nurses let me use it at the hospital.
    VeronicaLee

Answer by VeronicaLee at 5:38 PM on May. 11, 2010

• With my first I did the epidural since I was in a long labor and had a very extreme case of pre-eclampsia so I am all for the meds also! But with my 2nd I really wanted to stay away from any pain medicine. So I walked a lot, and it was really cool because my doctor allowed me to get into the jacuzzi (sp?) whenever I wanted too until I hit 7 cm. After I got that far into my labor I did get a shot of something in my back and it helped through 1 of my contractions (still felt everything, just a little less intense). But I didn't lay down at all, sitting was horrible also for me. So it was a lot of my husband/ nurses rubbing hard on my lower back while I was rocking myself back and forth with my feet!! Breathing is key :) If you can't make it all without a little help of meds don't beat yourself up! I did 1 shot and still felt the whole experience the same as anyone else would *the pushing was extremely different feeling it all!!
    ali_1107

Answer by ali_1107 at 5:40 PM on May. 11, 2010

• I just did it....they had me suck on ice until i felt sick than they cut me off but mostly i just breathed... and held on like hell to the bed..... that's it...no epidural...no meds....
    mommy492006

Answer by mommy492006 at 5:41 PM on May. 11, 2010

• I did get the epi, but i held off as long as i could...which was when the doctor scared me into getting it lol (saying i may not get it in time, blah blah blah) but to get through it i held my dh's hand and he helped alot by cracking some jokes...laughing and hurting at the same time, the laughter helped me through it :) Good luck!
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 5:41 PM on May. 11, 2010

• I tried to distract myself. I had a few visitors and kept talking as much as possible. Hubby has a great sense of humor so he joked about everything which helped distract me too.

I did end up with an epidural but only because I was induced and was having off the chart contractions every two minutes, lasting about 1:15 for 8 hours straight.
    imamommmmyyy

Answer by imamommmmyyy at 5:44 PM on May. 11, 2010